1999 grand cherokee computer reset

richgilbert81

I own a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee with a 3.7L v8. About six months ago the starter went right in the middle of a road trip. So I got one at a local parts store and changed it on the side of the road. (What a chore that was with a v8 in a tiny little jeep!) of course I had to unhook the battery to replace the starter. After the repair was all said and done and we were heading back down the road I looked down at the dash and realized that the air bag light was on. I know very odd !!! So just recently I thought that if I removed both the battery terminals for half hour or so it would reset the computer… nope I was wrong !!! Well now my inspection sticker has ran out. Is there any way to do a "hard reset"? I just need this dam little tiny light to go out so to can make this rig legal again and be able to drive it while it still light out! Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Basically just disconnect the negative battery cable over night. This will give the computer a form of amnesia and clear all but the hard codes. Its actually draining the capacitors in the computer.

Back