100,000 miles between K&N recharges?

indiemo

Hey all, I was wondering if the K&N claims to only needing serviced once every 50,000-100,000 miles hold any water. It seems to me that if they're catching the same amount of dirt as a paper element filter that they should need serviced just as often. Being such, I've been servicing mine every 15,000 miles or so. Has anyone actually let theirs run to 50,000+ miles without servicing?

I serviced mine after 3,000 miles. It says on the back of the box that in dusty and off-road conditions that the filter will need to be serviced earlier. I suppose that this is a generic message they put on all of their filter boxes. You gotta think about all the Hondas and Acuras out there with them. They probably could go 50K or 100K miles before a cleaning, but generally we jeepers are mud-monkeys. 15K is good, but I say that if you got the time, clean when you want to. Although, I don't see how their claim that "more dirt in the filter will help." That seems like it would restrict more flow. So I clean it whenever my motor seems sluggish. Or when I have the time.

Just my $.02

C

Although is should last longer than a paper filter before recharging, as a certain amount of dust only works to improve filtering.

How exactly do I clean my K&N? I don't have the recharging kit but my friend will let me have his he said.

It's really easy with the recharging kit (which is only $20). All you gott do is spray on the cleaner, let it soak for 10 minutes, rinse out the filter (clean side to dirty side) with low pressure water, let it dry adequately (I let mine sit overnight), and then spray it with the supplied oil once, let it soak for 10 minutes, hit the spots you missed the first time, and then throw it in your jeep.

Back