03 TJ Running Rich

montana_jeepn

I have an 03 TJ with a 4.0, 5spd, 3.73's, and 31 in tires. It has approx. 20,000 miles. I have noticed my exhaust tip is black which leads me to believe its running rich. I have a K&N FIPK kit installed with an aluminum spacer that I put on right after it was new. Any ideas? Does my computer need reset? I unplugged it when I installed it. Would a performance chip help? Thanks!

I haven't been on this site for awhile, but it sure looks good! I will definitely be frequenting more often.

Thanks!

M_J

Mine does this too. I think its because of the 210* thermostat. It seems too take a while to warm up and the exhaust smells really rich for a long time after start up. The FIPK also gets more air to the intake and the computer compensates with more fuel.

Should still be under warranty, might want to just run it in and have them run a diagnostic. My '03 is pretty much the same set up, minus the K&N and tbs, and doesn't have any sooting.

Howdy Yall. For sale Questions..

Mine started doing this after I installed the Flowmaster. Lil'bit leaves her mark when I let her sit for more than a few min, with little splotches of black soot.

Under warrenty, go to the dealership, The ability to adjust the fuel curves can only be done through the computer.

My 04 runs rich to. Jeep runs the engine rich and hot. Rich coates the valves and extends engine life, hot gives better gas mileage and will help burn the rich air mixure.

Back