Wobbly steering

B192734

So been noticing that when I'm driving my steering feels almost wobbly. Anyone know a good way to check to see if your tracbar is worn out and needs replacing, or what else could cause this type of thing? It almost feels like when I hit a bump or a rut in the road the tires bend into them. Without steering. If the steering wheel is straight, it feels like pretty bad bump steer, but not the "normal" type that you get when just hitting a bump or speed bump or something like that. Any ideas?

Have somebody turn the steering wheel to full lock one direction while you watch the steering linkage and track bar from under the front of the jeep. Have the helper bounce the steering wheel back and forth against full lock quickly, this will reveal loose/worn parts.

Will it just show extra play in it, or will it clunk or what specifically would I be looking for?

you may have some mudd stuck up in your wheels somewhere thats cause alot od front end problems like what you are haveing or you may have a bad shock or ball joint causeing the issue

It'll just show play.

Pay close attention to each end of the trackbar.

When done with this, jack up the front end and shake each front wheel by holding the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, to check for worn balljoints.

Luckily I actually got the garage clean. It's pouring down rain out here. So I am gonna pull into the garage this weekend and see what I can see.

i had the same problem with my 95 wrangler. and just like bounty hunter said there was dried up mud in my wheels. your steering stablizer may be out too.

I just replaced the steering stabilizer about a year ago. The old one was shot. Do they commonly go out that quickly? Hopefully not, because they are a royal pain to take off and put on. I didn't weigh enough to break loose the bolt. Just lifted my self off of the ground. even with a cheater bar.

I'm leaning away from dried mud, due to the many many inches of rain we've gotten here in Oregon this season...

If the trac bar or the ball joints were going out could i also cause you to hear a little clunking when hitting bumps? Almost sounds like something is loose, but so far can't find anything.

Didn't check it this weekend by the way. That's now my procrastination project for tomorrow or thursday.

Back