Which jeep?

WODGES

Hey guys, I am wanting to get an older jeep to semi rebuild and knock around in. I am not searching for anything special, just a good base vehicle. Which year jeep do you guys suggest looking for and are there any special packages or options you suggest. I own a 95 cherokee limited but really want a cj, yj, ect.

I would say late YJ or early TJ. (93-2000) parts are still plenty, awa aftermarket parts. and you can still find them relatively "virgin" yet they are cheap. :shock: :shades:

Get yourself an older CJ-5. 1970 ish. They are very easy to work on. They don't have all the computer stuff, yet they are "modern" enough to afford you decent heat for the winter months (depending on where you live.) I had a 75 CJ-5 years ago, that I enjoyed a lot. You probably already know this, but if you play off road with any jeep, something is going to break eventually! You can get parts for just about any year jeep. Mine (as my forum name implies) is a 1960 Willy's. I have gotten parts for it with no problems.

I do not have much experience with these new fangled contraptions that are out there these days, so I cannot comment on them. I do know that whatever you get, the headlights should be round!:D

Never could get used to a jeep having square headlights, or square bottom doors for that matter! ;) (No offense to those of you that have them, it's just my opinion.)

As you can tell, I like the older stuff. It really comes down to what YOU like, what you plan on doing with it, how much work you want to do on it, and how much you want to spend initially.

Good luck with your quest.

BC

IMHO I would go with a YJ or TJ.The CJ's are nice ans simple to work on,no computer stuff.The only down fall of the CJ is rust.

If i buy another Jeep it will be another CJ7 or a TJ. Rust on the CJ is contingent on where the Jeep has lived most of it's life. Mine originally came from Nevada and has no rust anywhere. If you buy one closer to the coast or a state that salts their roadways during the winter then that's another story. I like the fact that the CJ's have the factory V8's, I6 and a few with the Iron duke's 4cyl. This broadens your choices on the powertrain but limited on the drivetrain as far as the axles.
'45-'71 CJs

The CJs built from '45-'70.5 used either a Spicer 23, Dana 41, or Dana 44 with two piece shafts. The CJ-5s and CJ-6s built from '70.5-'71 used an offset Dana 44 with 30 spline one piece shafts. This axle is an excellent upgrade for any CJ built during this time period.
Another inexpensive and easy Dana 44 for early CJs is the '72-'75 Dana 44. The advantage of this 30 spline 1 piece shaft Dana 44 is the spring perches are in the correct location and this axle is fairly easy to find. The disadvantage is this axle has a centered input and the Dana 18 uses an offset output. The rear drive shaft can be run at an unnatural angle or another transfer case can be swapped in.
'72-'75 CJs

One of the great things about '72-'75 CJ-5s and CJ-6s is they come with a 30 spline Dana 44 with one piece shafts from the factory. People with these Jeeps can focus their money and work in other areas such as a transmission or transfer case with a lower low range.
'76-'86 CJs

Most '76-'86 CJs came with the AMC 20 rear end that has two piece shafts. There are some exceptions where a Dana 44 with 30 spline 1 piece shafts was used. The AMC 20 has slightly larger R&P, but the housing is weaker and the two piece shafts are weaker than the Dana 44.
TJ's and YJ's came with the option of an I6 or a 2.5 4cyl. The ride quality in a TJ is far more comfortable than the CJ and YJ due to it's coil spring / link suspension as opposed to a leaf spring suspension.

if it were me... Anything that says Willy's is acceptable, and nothing less.

jk

I am in the process of trying to score a CJ 6 for a stock cruiser.

Wow , thanks guys for posting. There is a lot of information to ponder. I own a 1995 cherokee limited(real solid) and a 1978 ford f-250 high boy 4 x 4(I bought in 1980). When I find what I want and can afford it will be around for a long time. I look forward to learning more.

IMHO I would go with a YJ or TJ.The CJ's are nice ans simple to work on,no computer stuff.The only down fall of the CJ is rust.

My CJ had some cancer issues and I had to replace the floorboard and the RR quarter panel was hit too so I cut that out and replaced it. If you have the bookoo buckage get a flat fender. They sell bodies, floors, fenders, hoods, etc., and there ain't nothing,(and I DO mean NOTHING) like a sweet little Willys.:rolleyes:

Personally I like the Sahara model YJ or TJ the best, mainly the paint scheme.

Back