What do I check next, she won't hit a lick...

Tombredone

I just put on a TFI upgrade, new high pro coil, larger distro cap, new plug wires. I put the wires on in the firing order that it showed. When I try to turn it over, she turns but does not hit to start. I have check the sparkplug and wire connections for fire going to the plugs, and there is a good spark going in, but still not starting. I have the firing order at 1-5-3-6-2-4. I am not sure if this is correct, and yes like a dummy, I did not notate it before I changed out. I have even put the old back on and no hit there either. I have even put a new ECM on it just in case. Yes there is gas going to the carb. What else do I check, and if the firing order is not right, how do I find the correct order for my motor? The numbers on the block are 3218618 and the ones on the manifold are 3227135.4.. Help please,, I can't stand not driving my baby...
thanks
thomas

Sorry,, newbie at the helm,, its on a 82 CJ5 inline 6...

thanks

a quick trip to your local auto part store and asking them will give you the firing order.. or sneak a peak at the chiltons in there book section...

Take a look at a chiltons or a haynes at your local auto parts store...:)

Bryanjeep's Jeep

according to my haynes manual, the firing order is 153624. have you checked to see if you have fire? pull a plug wire and put a phillips screwdriver into the boot, hold the shank of the screwdriver close to, but not touching the engine block, or some other ground and have someone turn the key to start. be sure that you are not touching the metal of the screwdriver. if you have fire, you should see the arc between the screwdriver and the ground.

Tombredone said:
I just put on a TFI upgrade, new high pro coil, larger distro cap, new plug wires. I put the wires on in the firing order that it showed. When I try to turn it over, she turns but does not hit to start. I have check the sparkplug and wire connections for fire going to the plugs, and there is a good spark going in, but still not starting. I have the firing order at 1-5-3-6-2-4. I have even put the old back on and no hit there either. I have even put a new ECM on it just in case. Yes there is gas going to the carb.

Your firing order is correct at 153624 - front of the motor being "1". Double check this and the correct order on the cap. You said you have spark at the plugs but it won't start. Did you disconnect the battery when you did the install? You may have shorted out your ignition module. If you have fire and it won't start I would suspect that - they're inexpensive and good to have a spare around anyway. Hope this helps.

Scott

I have fire at the plugs, each one tested out fine. I bought a new ECM yesterday and put it on and still won't hit. Yes I unhooked the battery before installing. I will try the other two firing orders that were listed. The firing order in my chiltons is the same as what I have set it to. I will try the other two firing orders and see what happens. Any ideas if these two things don't work?

If you have spark, then you might have them in the right order, but not started in the right place. By this I mean that you have them right sequentially, 1-5-3-6-2-4, but for instance, you might have the 5 where 1 should be, 3 where 5 should be, all the way around. I did that once and it really confused the hell out of me. The plugs were firing one cylinder (60 degrees) too early. It didn't like that. I haven't done the TFI upgrade yet, but I know that my distributor cap has a small "1" to indicate that cylinder. Once I saw that, I realized my mistake and fixed it. Maybe you should check out your old cap and see where your "1" used to be and confirm you have them plugged in right. Good luck!

If you are getting spark, and you are getting fuel, my money says it is timing. Get the timing mark to TDC, pull the distributer cap, it must point to #1 (or #6 if it is on exhaust stroke) get it as close as you can with an eye ball and then re-time it with a gun.

Thanks,, with all of your help, I found the problem. The firing order was correct for my engine. I did have the correct hole plugged to first spot on the distro cap. With a few testing,, actually one try,, I shifted all the plug caps on the distro cap one space to the right and started my jeep first shot.. thanks for your help everyone...
:p

Back