warn 8274

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I know my boy Bounty wil be the first to answer this, But I will pose the question to everyone. I am in a endless search for a warn 8274 of any vintage. Due to their high height, is there any issue with air flow into the radiator? Does your rig run a bit hotter? especially when crawling.

I know you have a pull type flex-a-lite bounty, did you have the winch prior to this mod?

can't afford both mods so I am looking for imput?

People have been running them for years on Jeeps with no worries. I personally prefer the lower more sleek designs, but the 8274 is a proven product. I run an oil cooler and transmission cooler strapped to my radiator so I thought I should stay with the Warn XD to keep the air moving. I also strapped a pusher type fan to the grill to help out my flex-a-lite mechanical fan.
BTW the Flex-a-Lite plastic fans with the 90 degree blades are the bomb. About $18-$20 and won't take your finger off.

i have heard problems with them making some trucks run slightly hotter, but i dont know that it is something to worry about

I've been running CJ-5 with my 8274 now for a good 10+yrs with no problems of overheating. Now, I don't have a stock 2 core rad. anymore, (3 core mustang type) with a flex-fan. My winch mounting plate is the huge metal wall warn winch mount. I kinda expected a little heat rise, but it never came.

I haven't had any cooling problems. Most jeeps I've seen run hot are the 4.0L, so they me more prone to getting warm if you install something in front of the radiator.

If you're crawling, the fan is pulling the same amount of air through the radiator wether the winch is there or not. It's at speed when the fan clutch disengages that the difference in airflow will be noticed, if at all.

Here's how much mine blocks the radiator:
image-missing.png

Back