Transmission?

zglad

Okay, the CJ had its maiden voyage today since the complete rebuild. Well, everything was rebuilt but the 3 speed transmission. We made it about 15 minutes away, before all of the gears except thrid quit working. You could still shift into the gears, but no power at all. The clutch is new, so I've reached my limit of knowledge since I know very little about transmissions. Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong so I can start troubleshooting?

Thanks
Zac

so do you mean you can shift into the gear, but the output doesn't spin?

Yes, it feels just like normal when shifting in and out of all gears, but there isn't any output other than third gear.

Ditch the T-150 and Dana 20 and get a T-176 four speed and Dana 300. You will be much happier with the 4 speed and the lower gears of the 300. Check your skid pan, but mine had multiple mounting holes and the T-176 and 300 went right in.

Reader Rides upgraded

There is a combo on E-bay right now going for $200. It includes the bellhousing, transmission, transfer case and skid plate. The guy said it needs a new shift fork, which is no big deal to replace on that transmission. Pull the top plate off, knock out the roll pin and put the new fork on.

I would buy it, but Pennsylvania is a long way from Oklahoma. What should I expect to pay from a salvage yard? Is a salvage yard the right place to look?

your gears likely came disconnected from the output shaft... some 2.5 yj owners know that to be common with 5th gear... you should be able to pick up a transmission for under 500

Back