transmission swap

desertrunner

I have a 97 xj with an automatic transmission and I know a guy with a 90 xj with a manual. I'm during to have a manual transmission and he hurt his knee so he can't work the clutch anymore. What would be involved in swapping the transmissions from one jeep to another. IDE be doing all the labor myself so extra things IDE have to buy? Do I need to swap computers and or the harness because of the auto transmission? Helps appreciated!

Just another thought that occured to me.. what about the radiator? I know the automatic has a trans fluid. Cooler.. what do I do about that? Is the trans cooler external or built into my radiator

Yes you would have to exchange the computers in '97 they started integrating the transmission control into the ECU. I would not worry about the radiator just get a a stand alone transmission cooler and put it in front of the radiator. And make sure to take the TV cable with the auto to put in the manual vehicle. and You will need to drill a 1 1/2" hole in the fire wall for the clutch rod and reenforce the firewall somehow to take the force of the clutch petal. I did the auto to manual swap in my 86 but that was a different motor and transmission.

Back