TORX

jeep90

I hate torx. I am looking around everywhere to get torx bolts for my doors because mine are stripped. I hate torx. Looked on ebay, google'd it, quadratec, etc. and couldnt find any. I hate torx. Maybe someone can help me with the following solutions. I hate torx.

1. where can i get a set of torx bolts for my doors?
2. what size are those bolts so i can go to lowes and get some?
3. what alternatives are out there?

thanks in advance

(p.s. I HATE TORX)

get a whole set of torx, b/c you will need them, second, if you have alreday stripped the bolts, you will need an easy out to remove them. regular hex head bolts should work nice for replacing torx

yeah but they have to be flush mount for the doors, so hex heads are out. i was thinking of just drilling them out and knocking the threads out with a screwdriver. i just found a 100 pack on ebay for 22 bucks, but who needs 100 door hinge bolts?

As far as getting them out Sears sells a neat tool that looks like a drill bit. also I loke to use a left hand drill bit. Works great. Once they are out replace them with stock bolts but dont over torq them. Use a good set of tools to remove them and replace them and you should have no more probs. a small ammount of antiseize may also help. just make sure to check them incase they vibrate loose.

I know we all hate going to the stealership, but I got a couple of roll bar bolts whenever I discovered that on of them was broken. You will probably end up paying twice as much , but at least you will get the correct bolt.-al

I was going to suggest the same thing whiterubicon did. Big on Craftsman, Husky, etc. and both make a nifty bolt extraction tool. far_right right about the hex bolts. If/when myine break I'm converting every one of those $@#%* torx bolts to hex. Just wait 'till your clutch goes out if it hasn't already... you'll know what I mean.

Hey,

I had the same thing happen. The Jeep Dealership parts dept sold me a set of 8 torx bolts for the windshield for $7. Less than a buck a bolt! They need to be painted though after installed if you want the flush head to match the jeep. Good luck!

Tes torx suk. But on the positive side. When you replace them, they are not painted over, anymore. THat is one of the big issues of trying to remove them. The fact that they're painted over.

Hey folks; you could also go to one of the many Jepp order books and do what I did and order the set of bolts,screws,nuts,washer,locknuts..They come marked for the part that needs new hardware.. It was under a couple of Hundred bucks and it saves time and time going to the stealership.. The best deal of all is that u can REPLACE oll the Torx bolts with regular bolts that fit. I found it worked out real nice for all the nuts and bolts I need for the restore of my 1980 CJ7.......Keep on Jeepin........

the door and windshield bolts are not only torx but are countersunk to have that smooth finish. If you replace them with hex, the door may not want to line up right and the heads will also stick out. I don't mind them sticking out and that's what I'm going to replace the windshield hinge bolts with.
Your only other option is to go to the local nut and bolt supplier (Lowe's probably isn't going to have these) and get countersunk allen head bolts. THey may not be much better though.
As for getting out the stripped ones, try an ease out. Sears has got some. You use them with a ratchet handle. They are bits with left hand, twisted splines that actually try to dig in as you back the bolt out. Another option is to get a drill bit the same size as the bolt threads and drill the head off of the bolt. Then when you get the hinge off, the threaded stem of the bolt will still be hanging there. Hit it with some WD-40 then try to get it out with a pair of Vise-Grips.
As a last resort, you can heat up the area around the bolt with a propane torch and then you will be able to get the stem out. This will burn the paint though.

Best locker for the front of a TJ

i have a couiple of torx bolts in my rollcage and on the floor that have a gay little nub on the inside so the standard hex head doesnt work...anyone know where to buy this bit? or does anyone know what i am talking about :lol: :lol:

its called a safety torx. You can order a whole set from quadretec fairly cheap. THat set comes with the big one needed for the roll bar on YJ's. If you only need the small ones go to discount auto. They sell them. Or you can carefully drill out the safety pin and use a regular torx.

Torx bolts suck - the suck hard. I have made it a point to replace all torx bolts with hex head. Ok, they stick out a little bit, but it's well worth it. For the windshield and door hinges, I just drilled out the torx fitting in the center and then cut off the bolt side. It made a cone shaped washer that fit in under the hex bolt.

Jest to reiterate the general point here - torx bolts suck.

Back