TJ Wrangler X

Break

RE: Rocker panel pictures

Hey I just got a 2004 Wrangler X and I was wondering how to remove the doors. this may sound stupid but as I see they are only held on by a couple of bolts and when I took the bolts off I of course being ... a little shy of info and intelligence stripped the paint off and the doors wont come off... I pulled up part of my Jeep trying to get the doors off and cant quit figure out how... I know your sitting there laughing and I will be too once I figure out how to do this... plz help :)

First unbolt the three cowl torx using a female T55, once unbolted simply remove the cowl and move to the windshield. There all you do is unbolt all three 7/8" bolts on both passenger and driver side, this will allow you to remove the windshield and windshield frame. Once the windshield is off you'll see several bolts that require a male T20 bit, remove those. That will allow you to remove the windshield sub frame and access the door release screws. Next simply unscrew all 58 screws on both the driver and passenger side and you're almost there, Just Kidding. They should just slide up and off, sometimes it helps if you work the door back and forth a bit as you pull up. If they're still stuck try putting a wood block on the bottom of one of the hinges and tap up with a hammer. You can also try a lubricant, I like Remoil. Don't force anything but they should eventually come loose. Once you take them off and on several times they will be easy on and off.

RE: Speedometer gear

Once the nuts are off, a back and forth motion with upward pressure usually does it. The more you take them off, the easier it gets! Enjoy! :lol: :lol:

Mudd4feet - your family is famous!

Roll down the window and lift from the top of the window frame. Give it a good yank as close to the hinges as possible. Should come right off.

RE: Bryanjeep

I think it was explained to me by my wiser brother-figure (mud4feet) that a little wiggle while lifting helps a lot! Gave mine ('95 Wrangler) a shot of WD40 to help. Once they're off the 1st time they come off easier (and a lot more often). You can get side mirrors from a Harley Davidon MC shop (long stems) that will fit in your hinges. Just my .02 worth.

RE: Re: RE: help a little girl?

The bigger the jeep, the better "popo" will see you. It's 80$ to tell the "popo", "the judge" and "the wife" that you just took them off for one little trip down the street.

RE: Where do you even begin?

I bought some brackets to relocated the stock mirrors, they suck pretty bad, the mirrors vibrate a lot. If you get the expensive ones that are replacements, then you could check your local laws, some states allow you to just run a driver side mirror.

I NEW IT

I got the one that sticks in the door pin guide. It vibrates so bad when the Jeep is running, I can't see anything behind me even sitting still.....really only got it to keep "popo" off my butt.....

well that makes me feel a little better, and probably saved me some cash too, since i've been thinking about getting that type to replace mine

Only one rear-facing mirror required in this state, and the rearview on the windshield suffices as long as it's not obstructed. So, no, no side mirrors required depending on your state law.

Where are you located, and did you get the doors off yet?

Im a popo!!!

Hmmm...that would all depend on the state that you reside in. Different states have different laws regarding side mirrors. I will inform you that almost every state in the US requires side mirros to be on any motor vehicle (with exception to boats and older PWCs). So better safe than sorry! They make mirrors that side into your existing door hinges so that you dont have to mess with drilling holes in your Jeep and they are much cheaper than paying a big fat check to your state, county, township. If you reside in NY state, driving without side mirrors is a big NO NO. Contact your local PD for more info, Im sure they would be more than happy to help you.

A good cheap way for mirrors is bike mirror there cheap and don't look all that bad.

Back