TJ Wrangler Jittery

Gr8tdragon

Hi, I find my 97 tj a little jittery on the street. It is influenced by slight dips in road like ripples caused by semi's. Seems like it is loose. I had a YJ before and had no looseness. I have looked at the joints and connectors but don't seem to have any play. Is this normal for the TJ's or is there something wrong with the suspension/ ride system?

my tj is doing the same thing,my mechanic found a bad ball joint. goes in today for repair. keep the tj, the ride is better.

Hi, I find my 97 tj a little jittery on the street. It is influenced by slight dips in road like ripples caused by semi's. Seems like it is loose. I had a YJ before and had no looseness. I have looked at the joints and connectors but don't seem to have any play. Is this normal for the TJ's or is there something wrong with the suspension/ ride system?

Give us the specs on your Jeep. Does it have a lift? What size and how old are the tires?

I'd start by torquing everything down to spec

Ft. Lbs. (max – min)
Shock Absorber Upper Nut 23 - 17
Shock Absorber Lower Nut 28 - 25
Suspension Arm Lower Axle Bracket Nut 176 - 130
Suspension Arm Lower Frame Bracket Nut 176 - 130
Suspension Arm Upper Axle Bracket Nut 81 - 60
Suspension Arm Upper Frame Bracket Bolt 81 - 60
Stabilizer Bar Retainer Bolts 61 - 45
Stabilizer Bar Link Upper Nut 61 - 45
Stabilizer Bar Link Lower Bolt 102 - 75
Trackbar Ball Stud Nut 81 - 60
Track Bar Axle Bracket Bolt 47 - 40
Hub/Bearing Bolts 102 - 75
Hub/Bearing Axle Nut 237 - 175
Jounce Cup Bolt 42 - 31

Then lift up the front and put a hand on each wheel, first at 9 and 3 o'clock and wobble it back and forth, then at 12 and 6 and try wobbling the wheel. It should't move.

This is most likely a loose component, or a worn bushing.

Terrymason,

Thanks for the information I will try the torqing of all joints. As well as test for wobble.

My jeep has stock suspension and steering. I have put on 30 x 9.5 tires last fall. other then that doen some things to the engine and exhaust.

If everything is stock, im curious what exactly its doing? Is the back end kinda slidy? Or are the front tires wobbly. I dont picture anything when you say jittery. If its the back end that seems "loose", my 06 tj does the same thing. Its influenced by small washboards and small bumps like man hole covers or potholes, but usually only when turning, even slightly. I was told it happens when the suspension dips on one side, and the rear track bar does its job and pulls the axle and body into alignment. After talking with same mechanic, the tri link suspension option with some lifts gets rid of that issue. Eventually for me lol, but its a pretty penny. Ill deal for now.

It will do what your saying as well as will feel like it rolls down off of the top of semi depressions. Feels unnerving when it shifts slightly like that. handles good. Alignment must be close as you can take your hand off of the wheel for a quite a few seconds and it don't wander.

i have a wrangler unlimited front end wobbles once i hit 50 steering wheel moves back and forth but stays staight. I rotated tires and still does it. any one have any ideas?

A new heavy duty steering stabilizer might help. Old man emu makes a really good one. Is use one on my 06. Had the same problem till I changed it out

ctjeep said:
i have a wrangler unlimited front end wobbles once i hit 50 steering wheel moves back and forth but stays staight. I rotated tires and still does it. any one have any ideas?

Again...go to the home page and type in death wobble on the search engine. Terry has a write up about the symptoms, and the fix. You'll find all you need to know there. Good luck.

......Is this normal for the TJ's or is there something wrong with the suspension/ ride system?

No, it is not normal for a TJ. I've had several issues along the line with my TJ's ride, and it was always a component (tires are VERY important!!). Tires out of balance, alignment, or worn and bad shocks have been my problems. I knew my shocks were about shot (factory.......and I was at around 120K miles) and I would get some serious off-balance, side to side wobblies if I was riding someone in the back. Anyway, it's not an inherent thing with TJ's.

I don't think the shocks are shot but I will look at them again. I will replace the steering stabilizer and see if that helps.

Back