TJ gearing

INtj

At what point does it become smart to change the gearing from stock to something better?
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

32" tires?

33" tires?

Maybe it is more how wide they are?

11.5"?

12.5"?

both?

I have a 6cly auto and I know it will still run with stock gearing in nearly any combination. My question is when does it become smart to change it over. I would be driving on the street more than trails. [addsig]

width has nothing to do with it...[addsig]

I have run 32x11.50 with stock 3.73 gears and a 5 spd and was fairly happy with them. They would require a 2 inch lift which is cheap and does not require other mods.However if you live in a hilly area you might want to stay with 31x10.50's as this would proably reduce the amount of downshifting your transmission does on hill climbs.Going with 33's or larger would require gear changes front and rear, more expensive lift kits new driveshafts etc...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If you go with 33 or 35 you should have 4.11 or 4.56 gears. 4.56 would be better you will have higher rpms at your highway speeds but thats ok. you will get more power and thats allways great to have .
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

with the auto 32's will be ok with stock gears. Like they said,

swap out for anything larger, ever 32's will lag. I recommend

when you do it to go steeper like 4.56, you'll lose a little mileage

but that isnt cool to have to high anyways.[addsig]

Where can I get the gears and how much$$$$
image-missing.png

How hard would it be to do it my self?

I have never "broken into" anything that deep before?

Saturday?

Weekend?

Leave it to the pros?

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave it to the pros?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

We have a winner
image-missing.png
Don't do this unless you are a skilled mechanic, requires precise setup with special tools
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>>>

Leave it to the pros?

<<

We have a winner
image-missing.png
Don't do this unless you are a skilled mechanic, requires precise setup with special tools
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

YESS I agree don't try it . It takes expereance I have done plenty of them and it dosn't sound like a great ideal for you .
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thank you fro the help I will keep researching and when I get to that point I will let the pros do their thing!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back