tire questions

lankchevy

i have a 79 cj5 with a 2.5 suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift. right now it has 31 inch all terrains that have to get out of the way for something bigger/better. im looking at something in the 32 10.50 to 33 13.50 size. the ltbs are cheap in the 33 13.50s but i hear that they wear realy realy fast. i like the tsl's and tsl radials but how many miles are people getting out of them? is there a mileage diff between the radials and bias? i only drive about 20 to 30 miles a day but being a poor 16 year old in sports all year round exept for summer and parents that think i should be responsible enought to take care of my expenses for transportation it would be nice for a set of tires to last long as possible before i have to buy another set. and money being an issue are there any other tires that people like that are cheaper? these will be seeing mainly mud with a little bit of rocks.

kolby

The BFG goodrich ats are an excellant street tire.They are good tires for the one who does alot of cit driving,but still has some fun offroad every now and then.If you will be doing alot of offroad,you might want to consider another tire.I have heard that they arent to good in the mud.

The LTBs are supposed to wear just as fast as any other swamper or mud terrain out there. After reading a review online, this is going to be the next set of tires I try.

Check out BFG MT's if you want a mud tire that will last. They generally last 50,000 or more miles. This tire is available in the 33x10.5 and 33x12.5 sizes.

I've had the swamper radial, good tire that usually lasts around 20K depending on your driving/wheelin habits and rotation. The LTB has a softer rubber compound and will perform better offroad, at the expense of wearing down quicker onroad.

Check out the ProComp MT also, they wear well and you can occasionally find the '4 for the price of 3' deal online.

Yeah, BF goodrich At's or MT's will last a long time. They have a zero treadwear warranty, but they will last. Not the cheapest choice, but will outlast most on the road. Look for specials, I found I got them cheaper at a local tire shop than I would have at any of these "discount" mag and web places.

Futura tires from PepBoys, anyone tried them?

I've no experience on these, but I hear that the Yokohama Geolander M/T's are a good mud tire for right at $100 each. You might look into it. www.tirerack.com

C

im probly going to be offroading about once a week so i realy dont want the bfg ats. on a differnt message board all i ever heard about the geolander mt is that they blow and dont last long at all on road. ill look into the bfg mts a little more. does anyone know of any 4 for 3 deals going on right now for the pro comps?

kolby

I've seen the Yoko Geolander MT's wear quickly on the road, tough to get your moneys worth. If you like the tire and want directional, the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial will last a bit longer.

Pro Comp is running the buy 3 get one free deal again. We have been selling a ton of the MT's. The sale end October 31

ecor said:
Pro Comp is running the buy 3 get one free deal again. We have been selling a ton of the MT's. The sale end October 31

Yeah,a guy was telling me about that the other day.

I commute to college 3 days a week 52 miles round trip and do a lot of other driving. My 31" Fututa M/t's from pepboys are lasting me really good. They have a very slow wear and are the same as bf good or goodyear mt's on street and offroad. Impressed with them offroad. The good thing about these tires is that pepboys is probally around the corner from you. $100/piece. I lucked out, my friend who works there got them for me for $50/piece.

There is quite a bit of difference is size between the 32 x 10 and the 33 x 13.5. I've got 32's under my 2.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift and there's no way the 33 would work. Make sure you don't overstuff you wheel-wells

so merlin do u think i should stick with the 32s? a guy down the street from me has some 33s on a cj7 that has NO lift! u can tell they would rub pretty bad off road but still ive got almost 4 more inches of clearance than him. my 31s have a TON of room in the wheel wells. i might be swaping to tj flares latter on too. that would prolly be around next spring. im leaning back towards the ltbs because of price and the fact that i realized i will still have my ats on a seprate set of wheels so if it doenst look like im gonna be off roading for a while or if im going on a trip or somewhere i could swap back. also does anyone have anything to say about the maxis buckshot mudders? they are pretty cheap.

kolby

okay im ordering those procomps today.. i REALLY like the agressive look of the mud tire, but living in new england we get alot of snow. am i in trouble? I've heard mud tires are awful in snow. should i just go with the a/t? I go offroading about once a month.... TIA

Back