Thinking of building a four link set up

yeah, but why? leaf springs are the simplest, most reliable suspension you could have, and capable of doing whatever about 99% of the jeep owners want it to do.. unless you plan on building a purpose specific competition rock crawler, theres not much point to it

OP, I ditto Animus here. He is correct. My Jeep VEX has been in 123 of the world's 195 countries, 90% of that without roads. And many places no trails at all (Algeria and Libya to name just a scant few), and it does as well or better than anything else. Leafs are very good and simple and last. I know so many TJ guys who are thinking about arched leaves.

As far as flex, you can get good flex in any leaf sprung CJ:

image-missing.png

Just some thoughts.

Robert

But but but you said you did. :cry: LOL Just messin with ya Johnny.

Very True, and I see your confusion to clarify, this was not a stock full body jeep, I just put that there for price comparison. That vehicle was a originally SOA on YJ leafs front with a 4.3L, we cut the frame at the fire wall and rebuilt everything forward (not included in the cost I posted)
My reference to putting 3 links in front application was for jeeps still with full stock body, stock motor and stock frame.

Edit for lots of spelling errors

Ya, but your cheating with revolved shackles.

and I know I posted a lot of info here, just to add some fuel to the fire... I run a Small Spring Under lift on my YJ currently, I am SOA'ing it this autumn with 1 tons and using XJ leafs front and rear. there is no arguement from me regarding the leaf springs and the utility, reliability, and durability of them. but they are really tough to geta low ride height with a lot of flex and they do have some approch angle hinderance.

Ya, but your cheating with revolved shackles.

and I know I posted a lot of info here, just to add some fuel to the fire... I run a Small Spring Under lift on my YJ currently, I am SOA'ing it this autumn with 1 tons and using XJ leafs front and rear. there is no arguement from me regarding the leaf springs and the utility, reliability, and durability of them. but they are really tough to geta low ride height with a lot of flex and they do have some approch angle hinderance.

Johnny,

How is the Revolvers cheating? Confused on this. They work really really well and ride excellent. The only thing I had to double up on is I designed a internal sprung-heim jointed connect bar between each shackle, front and rear, across VEX, that discourages side sway on street-hiway driving and that made it even more stable than the confer shackles I also have.

Also, thank you for all the Atlas info in the other thread. Excellent data.

Robert

I was mostly just posting to see everyones thoughts on the four link set up I havnt had a problem with the leafs yet and more than likely the top heavy feeling is due to the body lift. I was having a problem with U-joints breaking but made a new driveline that was longer and has worked awsome so far! Im really just confused on where to go next,but have had a lot of good advice

I was mostly just posting to see everyones thoughts on the four link set up I havnt had a problem with the leafs yet and more than likely the top heavy feeling is due to the body lift. I was having a problem with U-joints breaking but made a new driveline that was longer and has worked awsome so far! Im really just confused on where to go next,but have had a lot of good advice

Understood. 40 years ago, I was hounding every magazine, outlet, dealer, off road shop, and fellow Jeepers in learning what worked and what did not. Would have been great with the net then. But, that is the course of things with us and out Jeeps.

Let us all know as this is fun for the rest of us.

Robert

Back