There are no stupid questions, right?

iraq_vet_x2

Yeah, but there are inquisitive idiots. Any way, my stupid question is, does anyone know how to make my clock work on my 89? I swear the damn thing works when it wants to, and for no particular reason.

Also, and much more interesting...my oil pressure gauge still isn't working. I replaced the sender with a new one and I'm still getting a maxed out needle on the gauge.

Yeah, but there are inquisitive idiots. Any way, my stupid question is, does anyone know how to make my clock work on my 89? I swear the damn thing works when it wants to, and for no particular reason.

Also, and much more interesting...my oil pressure gauge still isn't working. I replaced the sender with a new one and I'm still getting a maxed out needle on the gauge.

If the Clock is tied in the cluster circuit , then your assumption is possible. The oil pressure gauge thats always on a maximum level means that the signal wire from the sending unit to the cluster is finding a path to ground somewhere in between. I'ts not difficult to remove the cluster and check the connections on those units. and if you do take it off and give the terminal connections a thorough check and cleaning, trace the oil pressure signal wire from the sending unit to the cluster for chafing or pinch thats causing a short to ground. As far as the question is being stupid, it's not. that's how we learn.

Last edited:
I'm with Steelheadz on this one. the fact that your clock works intermitantly probably means you just have a loose connector rattling around in there shorting out. If you pull your gauges out and look at the connections you'll probably find about 19 years of corrosion. Take a small wire brush to the connectors, (being careful not to rip any off), and reatatch any loose wires. give that a shot and see what happens, (remember to disconnect your battery first, it's a low current flowing through all that stuff, but just to be sure you don't get nailed and pee your pants and blame me for it:D) good luck

Thanks guys...all good stuff, I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know what happens. And Scott, thanks for the heads up. If I do pee in my pants this weekend, hopefully it'll be Coors Light's fault.

Problem solved! It was behind the instrument cluster like ya'll said. For those of you who don't know, there's, for lack of a better term, a flexable circuit board behind the gauge cluster. There was one spot on it where the internal lines of this circuit board had corroded away two of the leads, the clock's and the oil pressure. I just made two jumper wires for them real quick and it was done.
Thanks gents.

Back