t-case noise

cjack

I recently purchased a 92 wrangler- 6cyl, manual and am trying to set it up to flat tow. The tcase goes into neutral but when being pulled makes gear noise- the noise is definatly coming from the tcase and not the transmission or rear. any thoughts?

Welcome to the Z.

Do you leave the transmission in gear when flat-towing?

it makes noise regardless of transmission being in gear or not- I've tried it both ways- We haven't made it more than a few hundred feet towing it yet due to the noise- I sit in the jeep and try diffrent gears and such to try to eliminate or narrow down the cause- the noise reminds me of a diff gear thats got too much clearance- I'm now able to duplicate noise on the ground by spinning the front driveshaft with all 4 wheels off the ground-It makes the noise in all 4x positions except 2H. what components in the tcase still spin or mesh when in neutral?...

Everything in the transfer case will spin except the input shaft/planetary gears. This keeps the fluid pump working when flat-towing.

It's not too difficult to pull the rear cover from the transfer case to inspect it, but you have to know what to look for. I'd do it for you if you were close to St. Louis.

Thx for the info. any chance anyone has a link to an exploded view of the tcase?

thanks Bounty Hunter for the exploded view- Very helpful information. So after tearing it down, Found that someone had tried to do something to it before- The shift fork had apparently bent and the syncro was messed up. I guess whoever took it apart last time gave up-I know it was apart because there was a plastic straw from a spray can all mangled inside-and there was evedence of them prying the case apart- Hopefully I'll be towing by tomorrow!

... a damn spray can straw?!?!?!?!

Thats sad! God I hope I dont run into surprises like that in the future. I hate when people do it half-way an then try to put it on the next guy!

I've got it all back together now...New shift forks, synchro assy a couple of bearings and it's shifting normally now. Bounty Hunter- you're right sometimes you just have to dive in- Thanks again. Tomorrow will be my towing test run to see how it handles- I read somewhere in your other posts that you have flat towed a bit- any suggestions? Should I have the transmission in gear like the manual states or would you recommend neutral?

Definitely have transmission in gear, will be bad if it's in neutral.

Get towbar as level front to rear as possible and it should tow fine.

Back