T-176 rebuild

james5454

I my first gear has a wore down side. It's rough. I don't know what happened. It just slides on the mainshaft. But my question is that if I use this gear again will it ruin the transmission or will it be fine? All my other gears are smooth inside. There is a place on the mainshaft that is rough right where the place on the gear is. I've looked and can't figure the answer out on this one. I'm just not sure if my first gear is fixed or if it spins. And if it spins will it mess up my mainshaft? I got a new one.

Attachments

• image-3929117879.jpg
    image-3929117879.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 248

If the t176 is like a muncie, Are you sure that is first gear and not fourth. Is that gear part of a shaft, if so that is fourth gear and a caged bearing set sits inside the gear and rides on the main shaft. I am rebuilding a Muncie right and my fourth gear was all chewed up on the inside as well from the bearings going bad. had to order a new drive gear with the rebuild kit. First gear would be the most rear gear at the back of the trans.

That's what I was thinking. I ordered a new gear just in case. Id still like to know if that would tear up my mainshaft. Lol

Back