Sway Bar or Pinion angle

bhenson

I just bought an 81 CJ 7 and when I get up to about 35mph and shift gears, with the weight on the front end, the thing wants to go right. It has what I believe is a 4" suspension lift on it (new springs). The sway bar links are not connected and when i tried to connect them the end of the sway bar hits the steering link on the drivers side. The sway bar links are about 6" long so is it as simple as buying longer links and could that be the problem? If it is, then how long should I buy the new links? Could they have gotten the pinion angle wrong when they installed the lift and that is why it is pulling right? Also, it has a power steering box on it but no pump. Could it be all of these things or what? Any help would be appreciated, I want to drive this thing but don't feel safe in it with my family.:x Thanks.

can one leaf be on backwards? like is one end supposed to go to the rear and one to the front?

From your description it sounds like the person that installed the lift forgot to install a drop pitman arm and extended sway bar links. Both can be bought through Quadratek or 4WD hardware. What you're experiancing when it pulls to the right is bump steer. The drop pitman arm should take care of that.

Thanks guys, I'll look into both of those possibilities. I went for a little drive yesterday and noticed it wants to swerve when the road slope changes from side to side. I can hardly wait to hit the road and trails. I know it is fine for the trails now, it's just getting to the trails.:D

mine does that with just wider tires and no lift, the swerving when you hit a slope or road surface change. mine didn;t do it until i went to wider tires

Back