Stubborn U-bolts

jwhite1071

I've been spraying my ubolts for about a week now with PB Blaster because I wanted to put my lift on this weekend and they were very ugly looking, all rusted. I got a long breaker bar with a pipe and thought I would not have a problem, but I broke out the propane torch just incase I ran in to a stubborn one that needed a little heating up. My first nut broke free easy, the second one needed heat but finally came loose, from than on I couldn't budge the last two on my first spring even with the heat, I haven't even attempted any others because I know I'm going to run into a few more stubborn ones in the course of the next 12 nuts. While I was at sears today I saw a neat little cutting torch that I would love the excuse to buy, its a runs a mixture of mapp gas and oxygen and is rated to 5400 degrees, anyone ever just torch their u-bolts right off, It seems it would be alot faster?

ok, I'm going for the torch, it does seems funner......and it's actually cheaper too, I don't have a side grinder I would have to buy that as well.

drinks and motorcycles

Might as well check for gass leaks while your under there with that torch! :twisted:

A air die grinder 1/4 shank will do the job alot neater and alot safer.. a fiber resin wheel will cut through harden stainless steel with little to no problems. A torch will leave alot of slag from the cuts on your springs and other assorted parts near the cut site. Having an open flame near your gas tank it like playing russian rulet...if you make it through with the cutting torch I recomend a trip to Los Wages (las Vegas) since your luck is holding.

when cutting anything... i love to see when it finally comes apart

Well it wound up costing me nothing, a co-worker lent me a nice grinder with a cut off wheel, sorry to dis-appoint you ndnatty I guess I won't be checking for any gas leaks anytime soon, but if I decide too I will let you know

Back