sony radio cj7

GaryMB

I bought a used sony explode radio/cd player for my jeep and am trying to figure out how to install it. I don't have any plugs or adapters or anything; just the deck. The jeep did have a radio in it at one time. I'd like to install this w/o tracking down a wiring harness if i can.

transmission conversion

I think hes missing the orignal plug. so he just has the pins out of the back of the head unit.

RE: Jeep & Joopin designed decals

I have soldering down pretty well, though i havn't been able to identify which pins are for what.

RE: Jeep & Joopin designed decals

Hi,

No, I wouldn't solder directly to the unit's input pins.... You really need to get the proper harness adapter. I think most head units use a standard connector. You might check www.crutchfield.com if you can't find one locally.

-Nick :!:

first allow me to share my condolences for you getting a sony... i own one too... don't worry, you'll get through it

along with nick, i agree that you need to get the harness... it should be standard with most stereos... at least all sony decks will have the same one... you can contact sony, or a stereo shop and get what you need.... those pins are way too small to be soldering on, and you'll likely cross connection doing so...

RE: Back in the saddle again!

just got the harness for $20...i admit it was easier than trying to solder the pins on the radio. It came with a tag saying which wires are for what; now i just need to figure out which wires on the jeep are for what (i couldn't find a store that carries harnesses for jeeps older than '89).

RE: Back in the saddle again!

Should have saved your self some trouble...got a $30 boombox, bungeed it to the roll bar...hit the trail.

Gets rained on....go get another one! In extreme emergency can be used under tires for traction!

:lol:

now i just need to figure out which wires on the jeep are for what (i couldn't find a store that carries harnesses for jeeps older than '89).

Much easier than you think. Rewire everything. Seriously, much easier than dorking around with old wiring.

Power
Yellow - line to the "clock" link in the fuse box (power all the time)
Red - line to the "radio" link in the fuse box (power w/ ignition)
Black - line to metal (ground)
Speakers
Drop your dash. I was able to get me old speakers out w/o having to unplug any of the guages, so just rewiring your current ones should be a snap. Get new wire (stereo shop, best buy, etc - pretty cheap) and run from the speakers to the back of the radio. Typically, on the speaker, the smaller spade is ground (black stripe wire) and the larger is power (solid color wire).
Etc
Blues - power antenna / remote - cover end (electrical tape) and don't use
Orange (Pink sometimes) - illumination - this just dims the radio's lights when you turn on your headlights. You can tap into an orange wire from any of your guages OR just cover it and leave disconnected. It will not harm the functionality of the radio.

That should be it...

-X

RE: Announcing the new Reader Rides section

Gets rained on....go get another one! In extreme emergency can be used under tires for traction!

Jeeper, you have some good comments, LOL. Where abouts are you in Arkansas. I go through there to get to MO. If you like to fish (Gulf) maybe you might want to trade a fishing trip for a hunt. I'm 10 hours from Memphis. Rich

RE: ```````For sale in NE Ohio````````

thanks everyone for the input. I got some new speakers to install too; as soon as i hook everything up i'll let you know how it turned out.

Back