solex vs weber vs carter - vintage jeeps

animus_divinus

apparently, weber does make a carb for the vintage jeeps, as well as the solex which seems to be pretty common, and the origional weber

i created this post because i used the search feature and cant find anything too related.. so i made it so that in the future it may help others too

anyway... has anyone had experience with all three, or atleast two of these carbs that could do a comparison or review of them, which features they have, or dont have, and basically, whats the better product?

from what i could tell, carters are the least of them all and are usually replaced with a solex, and sometimes a weber.. the weber is about $400 as the solex is a little over $100.. so how different are they in performance and reliability?.. is the weber really worth $300 more than a solex?... anyone with knowledge on these carbs could be helpful.

aah, apparently theres an adapter that allows the weber carb to be fitted to the vintage jeep.. my guess its probably the same 1 barrel carb available for later model jeeps

so far everyone ive gotten information from has said webers are crap, even in vehicles they were designed for.. and some of these people, as well as others seem to love the solex

a real weber, not the weber 34 that is a two barrel made by solex for weber, is my favorite carb.

i have 34 (solex weber) on my 87 and its really finicky. i have had solexes on all my air cooled vws and they were great carbs, but those were the stock carbs. after market, i have not had anything but webers. the real webers, like a 32/36, are super carbs and very easy to tune.

i have only had carters as the stock carbs on a chevy motor. it was easy to work with and got good mileage.

Last edited:

ive only had experience with the weber 32/36 but i like it. i was having some problems earlier in the year that i thought was the carb but it turned out it was getting too much fuel pressure. once i got the fuel pressure regulated its awesome.

it seems everyones in agreement that the carter carburators arent that good, having not worked on one myself, i cannot comment as to why it might be, but it seems like the webers for the vintage jeeps arent worth the $300 more than it would cost to buy a new solex.. and i also heard the solex carbs are taller, and work better at different angles offroad vs a weber

i should add, the 1bbl weber carb listed for vintage go devil and hurricane engines is in fact a 32/36 DGEV

the solex also retains a more authentic look under the hood as well.. i could be wrong on any of my statements

The old original Carter carb. on my 1956 CJ6 appeared to be leaking fuel from the butterfly bushings onto the engine block and I recently replaced it with a Solex. I had a little trouble re-routing the choke cable which is now a little short and makes a 90 degree turn too quickly, but will probably replace it next time I order any parts. I hated to go to a non original part, but am happy with the way the Solex is performing and wish I had done it a long time ago.

I've dealt with Carter carbs on other vehicles and for the most part had good luck with them. The one on my sons flathead is really hard to beat. I don't know the particular model that's on the early Jeeps but as you know often times the same carb will come as original equip on several different vehicles. Like the Motorcraft that came on my Jeep was also found on furd trucks. i've got a set of Webber DC03's laid back for a future project, can't give an opinion on them yet.

I replaced my original equipment carb. with a Solex a few years back and have no complaints! At about the same time I stopped using ethanol as I had found a local source for no-ethanol gas and that stopped my major problems with vapor locking! The old girl has been running like a Swiss watch for the last couple of years now.....knock on wood! LOL

Back