SOA Lift...

JeepsterCJ5

I'm thinking of doing the Spring over axle lift on my 78 cj5. I've heard some mixed reviews about it. Also heaerd it isn't easy. I want to get some input from more experienced guys that have done this or have some idea on the intensity involved. Is there a bunch of cutting and welding? I know the set pin on the axle is an issue....
Any help or advice is appriciated I just want more than the 4 in lift that's all I can seem to find

on a short wheel base cj5, you would get a lot better performance out of a installing a 4" YJ lift. will be a bit more work, but your rig will benefit from the 2.5" wide front springs. the rear springs should be a direct bolt in, the fronts will take a little work, I have seen kits before for switching srpings, but parts could be made easily for next to nothing. Plus with YJ springs, it will stretch your wheel base a couple inches which isa good thing. with out any trimming you could fit a 33" tire with out issue. start trimming the fenders and a 36" tire could be had.

In the June '09 issue of JP magazine there was a three page article regarding this subject. According to John Cappa "A properly done spring over suspension will be nearly double the price of a simple bolt on lift kit. And the spring over is much more labor intensive as well." but he goes on to say "The spring over is at least a good stepping stone until you are ready to run link style suspension on your Jeep"
Christian Hazel says in the same article "I prefer a spring under suspension....They're easy, with no need for a complicated crossover steering arm to accomodate the drag link, no traction bars to counter axle wrap, and a huge selection of ready made, off the shelf and custom applications for the choosing."

You may be able to link to this article on the web. Best of luck

Gus

SOA is a lot of height for a narrow-track CJ, your jeep will become a LOT more tippy unless you do something to significantly widen the track width.

Spring Over in a CJ = Bad Idea unless as Bounty said you widen the stance with FSJ axels or something like that. Even then the frame at the front of a CJ is much narrower than a Wrangler giving you a pivot point that is closer to center and that equals easier to roll. Out boarding the spring hangers would help but why go through all the trouble.

He’s JP’s article:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/suspension/154_0906_spring_over_versus_spring_under/index.html

I will disagree.. SOA on a CJ that is not done properly is bad.. when done well with a lot of thought put into the engineering, it is actually a very good set up.

This is a good friend of mines cj5, not sur eon the exact year, but it is a narrow trac soa jeep with a 360, ya, it's been upside down, but it is actually really stable. His tires are Q78's. The srpings are a complete custom pack with yj mains and the rest is god knows. only has about 2 inches of up travel and plenty of droop
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

sz9bu9-1.jpg

Please note that JP put the axle back after they got tired of it. How many folks followed their lead and learned just as they did? YJ OME springs give lots of drop. Sway bars front and rear w/ disconnects and shackle reverse make it streetable. 2" Body lift and 4" springs let you run 38s. Can't turn as sharp. Been there done that.

Nice photos Bounty Hunter!

I've owned CJ5s with SUA, SOA and Coilover suspensions. I would consider 35"/36" tires as the approx "cutoff point" between the SUA/SOA. Some folks will tell you that it's just a matter of relocating the perches on top of the axles, running a drop pitman arm and you're done... for 1/2 the price of a SUA lift kit.
IMO however, you're better off to accompany a SOA with High Steer, a CV rear shaft, rear traction bar and wider axles... and by the time you get done with a good SOA, you're probably gonna spend more than you would on a SUA kit.. especially if you have to farm out the fabrication.

My current ride is an 80 CJ5 with RE 4" YJ Springs (Standard). I used 12.5" travel shocks up front and 10" travel shocks in the rear (both are RS9000s). The rig is predictable, rides like a Caddy on the street and does pretty good on the trail. If you're wondering whether "off the shelf" SUA stuff can flex...

5435760930_large-1.jpg

5435760931_large-1.jpg

At work....

YouTube - DPSHTER2's Channel

Sometimes its good to remember just because you can doesn't mean you should. Having said that, this is America, each to their own; that is of course unless the greenies think you shouldn’t then all bets are off.

Back