Simple shifting question

PhishHead

I am new to the CJ7 area and need assistance please. I have a 1983 CJ7 with a stock 6cyl engine. It is a manual 5spd. What I need help with is how to shift from normal everyday driving to 4wd and back. When do I use each and also what do all of the accronims (is that spelled correct
image-missing.png
) on the shifter mean? i.e 2L Please help. Any help I can get would help me out. Thanks in advanced.[addsig]

There are some that would laugh at such a question but I am not one. As far as shifting I don't really know how the CJ shifter is set up...that is for you to figure out. I know that you have to be in neutral to change it though. I will explain the acronyms to you. On your shifter you should see stuff like 2H, 4H, 4L, and maybe 2L. This is what they stand for...

2H - 2 wheel drive hi range, this is for normal driving...just the rear wheels turn

4H - 4 wheel drive hi range, this is for situations where you need to have 4wd...such as mud and off road purposes...not for use on terrain where there is good traction IE street

4L - 4 wheel drive low range, this is basically a lower gear 4wd...you cannot go as fast but you get much more torque for stuff like climbing up steep inclines and pulling power same basic uses as 4H

2L - 2 wheel drive low range, offered on some vehicles this gives you the low gearing without 4 wheel drive...I don't know of much use for this as I have never owned a vehicle with it (I have a YJ, no 2H) but I would guess it would be for pulling...only the rear wheels have power.

Hope that helps out...best way to learn what you need is just to go out and experiment with it.

[addsig]

Good Job Rayovac, that pretty much covers it, Anyhoo Welcome PishHead! Stick around for a few rounds with this bunch and sooner than you think you will be rolling down forgotten paths and trail in search of adventure. One word of free advice run while you still can this Jeep stuff gets in your blood and soon you will be spending all your money on mod's for you ride!
image-missing.png
Tug[addsig]

Thanks for the help. I was a LOT hesitant to post that question, but I figured everyone had to start where I am at. My wife is already getting mad at me with the stuff I want to do to my jeep, so I think I am off to a good start.
image-missing.png

[addsig]

My wife got mad cause I wanted to put on a cb antenna! Said there you go whoreing up the Jeep and then who's gona look like one when I drive it. Put it on anyway and still adding to the deal. She says nothing now cause it's going to happen anyway! Looks like your bitten, and there is no cure know to man! Abandon Hope all ye who own a Jeep! Later Tug[addsig]

Since you are just starting out should mention that even though you have the shifter in 4HI or 4LO you wont actually be in 4WD unless you have previously gotten out and locked your front hubs. A good habit to get into with a CJ is to stop an lock your hubs when you first hit the dirt and to unlock them again when you hit the pavement for the trip home. The big advantage to this is when you encounter the unexpected mud hole you dont have to get out in the slime to lock your hubs to get unstuck.Been there done that.
image-missing.png
Its OK to drive in 2WD with the hubs locked but it does cause the parts in the front axle to rotate which results in wear so when you know you wont need 4wd for awhile[such as hitting the pavement]then hop out an unlock the hubs.Hope you enjoy your first Jeep as much as I did.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

just wanna add some opinions.

2L is pretty much never needed, but it can come in handy if you use the jeep as a "workhorse" and are moving heavy loads on pavement, or pulling brush, or something and you don't want that 4-wheel-bind from 4L on pavement.

with my twin stick, I play with it alot. my garage entrance is tight and angles, so instead of slipping the clutch, I drop it in 2L first, dump the clutch with no gas pedal and let it crawl up the driveway. when I crank the wheel hard to turn in, it is idling around 400 rpms just chugging in, kinda fun, but I'm kinda weird.
image-missing.png

also, 2L is fun in drive throughs. doing 2,000 rpms at 5.5 mph gets some funny looks.
image-missing.png
(kinda wish I had one of those super-low crawl ratios so it was more obvious
image-missing.png
)

also, before my twin stick, 2L was accessable by "cheating". using 4L, but unlocking both hubs, you only have rear drive, hence 2L
image-missing.png
One concern about 2L, and a reason I think it is usually unavailable, is you can put tremendous power to just that rear axle, and I think breakage is very possible in high-traction and hi-load situations.

also, if you have an open differential(i.e. stock), unlocking just one hub also can disable the front axle(thats how YJ's work, they only disconnect one axle shaft) so if you are stuck sometime, and the front is not pulling, check -both- hubs to see if they are locked.
image-missing.png
that got me once when I was very young. and again when I was much older.
image-missing.png

and...I tend to leave my hubs engaged all the time now. with the twin stick I don't need to use the hubs anymore, and this way the front and rear axles will wear out at the same time.
image-missing.png
You can save some mpg(not much, but you can experiment for yourself and see) by using the hubs. if you do use the disconnects, and don't off-road regularly, make sure to engage the hubs once in a while. I think a couple times a year would do it, but it needs that to lube the front end.

also, if you -do- offroad regularly, check the diff fluids, and both gearboxes(transmission and xfer) to make sure no water is in them and that they are full on a regular basis. best shortly after done off-roading.

I've never regretting inspecting my vehicle, If I don't find anything wrong, so much the better.
image-missing.png
If I do find something wrong, its better than finding it buried in two feet of mud.
image-missing.png

-keith[addsig]

Back