Scout Axles, Narrow track CJ7

I decided to get it all measured and see how bad it is, there is an article that tells how rotating the inner knuckles can be done. I just don't know if I will get the time to do it all. I also don't think my welder will be enough to do the cast iron to put them back on. Here is a link to the article I found. DIY Dana 44 Front End for CJs - - Jeep at Off-Road.com
What this guy did is a little different, he was narrowing the axle he was using, I am not, I just hope I can get enough of the welds ground away. I may end up paying someone else to do this If I can find someone affordable enough.. Anyone in the bay area(CA) who has someone good to do this?

The cast inner c's will probably need pre and post heat, proper annealing would be best. Will also take a lot of heat for penetration during welding.

Shackle reversal is moving the front spring shackles from in front of the axle to behind, and using solid spring hangers in front. It's okay on the road if done right, but does nothing to improve offroad capability.

Actually it does alot offroad in the line of protecting your leafsprings. By moving the shackles to the rear you gain in approach angle by the length of your shackles. Since they are no longer going to be the first thing you hit they also save alot of spring damage (bending the top leaf) by not exerting force from the bottom directly to the top leaf when the shackles impact. You can gain 15 degrees in approach angle with a shackle reversal.

I have rigs with it and rigs that have not had it done and I cannot discern any difference while driving but you do need to turn the knuckles if you do it.

Reversed shackles aren't very road worthy, from what I gather. Basically an off road only mod. Kits aren't too pricey, as far as mods go. You'd probably have to get your driveshafts lengthened, too.

I don't see how I can reverse my shackles, I have a cast part that is kind of a tube welded on the frame,(look at the pics) I would have to totally change the mount on the front for that. The other thing is the driveshaft length, the dana diff has a longer pinion section, which pushes the driveshaft back closer to the transfer case. It isnt a problem now, because as the springs are compressed, the shackles rock forward effectively pulling the axle forward away from the transfer case. I only have about 1/2 inch of space for the shaft to shorten now.
I did find a guy locally(about an hour away) who would roll the inner knuckles back fir me for about 400.00 not bad when you look at all the work involved. If I wasn't moving in about a week, working, and didn't have my kids from my ex for the summer, I would do it myself. This guy is also going to put some angle iron sliders, and a full cage in it for me, I'll get pics, I'll share!! After it is done I'll put a link to his shop up, I don't want to get him even more busy before he gets to work on my rig. I can't wait to see how it will drive with the caster better, I will be trying to see just what the caster is tomorrow.

Attachments

• P7060016.JPG
    P7060016.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 626
I drove it to the shop Yesterday, got a new flowmaster put on, and got the caster checked, BAD!, BAD!, BAD!. It is -3.1° on one side, and -3.3° on the other, I have not determined what the pinion angle is. When I get it to the shop, they can see if that is ok, if it is, the inner knuckles get rolled 10° back(want +5-8°). If the pinion angle is too much, then the right side cast iron perch needs grinding down, and the left perch needs rolling back whatever amount the pinion needs to move. then add that to the 10° to roll the knuckles. Sigh... this thing is getting more and more costly.

Is this a 4x4 shop? They should've caught the pinion angle and caster issues during the install if they have much jeep or scout experience.

Glad you're getting it corrected, it will be a lot more drivable and you'll be happier in the long run.

Well, I took it out today, finally got to put it into 4wd Low, it seems to climb very well, my buddy took his Bronco also, we had a lot of fun, just light trail stuff. It was a bit twitchy and hard to drive on the road, but very cool off road.

Attachments

• Jeep and bronco first run.JPG
    Jeep and bronco first run.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 768
some pics, after all the work, including cage work

Attachments

• Picture 023 (Small).jpg
    Picture 023 (Small).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 608
  • Picture 024 (Small).jpg
    Picture 024 (Small).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,770