Rear ends swap ?

Mr._X

RE: Re: Jeep Gov..?

Will a rear axle on a XJ four door swap out with a rear axle on a two door ?.........Thanks in advance. :)

RE: fiberglass jeep hood

Yes it should. The only difference would probably be the length of the driveshafts. I'm not 100% positive though. Might want to wait and see a few more reponses. What axles are you swapping out? Chrysler for Dana?

My Brother in law (17) blew out the rear in my Mom-in-law's XJ, and I'm more familiar with the CJ, YJ, TJ models.....also, how can I figure out the gear ratio without the tag (other than counting the front gears....nothing left of the rear lol). The tag is probably in the Fla swamps somewhere. Two door XJ's are more prevelant where I am, so I'm looking for parts, but she found a rear out of a four door. Now all we have to do is verify the gear ratio is the same.

Do you know if her axle was a dana35, a chryco 8.25", or the very rare dana 44 tow package axle found 1987 and older?

What year was her XJ? Transmission?

Another Liner Question

the rear axle in anything will swap out into your 2 door xj, just depends on how much work you want to put into it. but yeah, it should be a bolt in job to change that, like someone else said, the only thing that should be different is the driveshaft length. but what year is each xj?

The two door (the one I'm trying to fix), is a 1988........I'm not sure of the other one....again...I'm waiting to figure out the gear ratio before I do anything. The Jeep is used mainly on the street (it's my Mom in laws) and my brother in law decided to try being John Force for a day....blew out the rear, and tore out the rear driveshaft....had a new shaft built, now am looking for the rear.

RE: Front Axle

The 2-door and 4-door XJ's have the same wheelbase, so the drivetrains are pretty much the same. The axle will bolt right in. Most XJ autos had 3.55 and most 5spds had 3.07, that should help.

Best way to verify ratio is to pull the cover and get the pair of double digits stamped into the side of the ringgear, these are your ring and pinion tooth counts. Divide the larger number by the smaller for your gear ratio.

Thank you all so much...very helpful site...keep up the good work

Back