rear cv drive shaft

huskerdoc12

what should I be looking for in a rear cv driveshaft and S.Y.E combo? I am saving for a Full Traction 4" kit. their combo is 750 on stylinconcepts.com. on ebay there is a full traction SYE with a ?brand cv drive shaft added for 525. what should I ask about to feel comfortable spending 200 less on the ?brand or 200 more for the full traction brand? this is for a 2004 TJ. I am new to Jeeps and the mechanics as well.

I was just up at http://eoronline.com/index.html the other day looking into my lift and he told me the RE SYE driveshaft combo was like $750 but they usually put in the RE driveshaft and a SYE from Advanced Adapters that comes out right at $500 after tax. Check with a local offroad shop and see if they can get you some sort of deal like that. I think that's the road i'm headed down.

thanks guys. I really couldn't see paying 750 for that kit-that's why I ask the guys who know!

I agree with Bounty on the shortened front shaft. I used one on my YJ after I did the SOA. I did it on my own. I measured, cut, sized a piece of tubing to go over the two halves, welded it tight and ground the welds flat. I've never had a single sign of vibration or any sort of weakness

No, Tom Woods uses a better grade of tubing than what is used in the stock front driveshaft of a XJ/TJ etc. You pay for what you get in this case. I've been beating my TW rear shaft hard for a while and its taken a beating. Anyone here who has seen pics of me and my rig knows that taken a beating is probably an understatement. I won't make a rear driveshaft jsut because i feel they are too crucial, the front on the other hand, thats another story. I have a square shaft up front that will never ever break, buts cuz its half an inch thick where the slip is.

Last edited:
Why not just take your current shaft and have the CV added at a local driveshaft shop. I've got one sitting on my garage floor right now that is 32" center to center. It needs a u-joint.

redrooster said:
Why not just take your current shaft and have the CV added at a local driveshaft shop. I've got one sitting on my garage floor right now that is 32" center to center. It needs a u-joint.
That'll work if your jeep already had a fixed yoke at the transfer case and a rear driveshaft with splines in the middle. Won't work on most late model jeeps since the shaft is a fixed length and the splines are in the TC yoke.

Back