Re-gearing

JKChris

Am looking for some opinions on what people think it should cost to re-gear my jeep. I have a '08 JK X, manual transmission, and 35" tires. Using the charts as a guide, I think I want 4.88 gears. What should I expect to spend?

It really depends on if your doing the swap or paying a garage. I was quoted $1100 parts and labor to have my yj done a few years back. I didn't want to fork out that kind of cash at the time so I found a complete front and rear out of a 4 cyl. wrangler with 4.10s and swapped it all out myself. Saved me $750 bucks. Also, what engine do u have and are you gonna wheel it a lot?

Expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand at a good shop. Depending on what gear ratio you currently have will determine if you need new carriers or not and some shops charge less if the axles are out of the vehicle but I find it's worth the extra charge not to have to remove them. I'm sure it sounds high but a lot is involved in setting up gears that the average mechanic isn't equipped or knowledgable enough to do. You're talking thousandths of an inch and if it's off you buy another set.

nutznky said:
It really depends on if your doing the swap or paying a garage. I was quoted $1100 parts and labor to have my yj done a few years back. I didn't want to fork out that kind of cash at the time so I found a complete front and rear out of a 4 cyl. wrangler with 4.10s and swapped it all out myself. Saved me $750 bucks. Also, what engine do u have and are you gonna wheel it a lot?

I have the 3.8 V6. It is my only vehicle, so I will drive offroad, but I won't do anything too extreme until I have another car.

I am getting quotes out here from 1200-1600. It just seems high... Idk

Xjmarc is spot on. You need to make sure u find a reputable garage if your gonna shell out that kind of money. Just a hair out and you'll be doing it all over again in no time. A lot of jeep guys do their own. You may ask around and find one near you that would be willing to do the job for a lot less. You may even find a performance shop that would do it for a better price since most of them are experienced in setting up race car rear ends and such. Those numbers sound high to me so I'd ask around and see.

The average price is about $600 per axle. If you don't mind disconnecting your front drive shaft you can get away with doing them one at a time.

It's a tough call - you want to save money, but if they set the gears up wrong then you'll have to do it over again (parts and labor).

Just call all the local 4x4 shops, then go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

I do my own gears, it isn't hard, but it is precise, I've seen threads from people doing their own with no experience and I always like reading to see how it turns out, if you have above average understanding of gear relationships its a very simple job, if you know how to shim to achieve proper gear contact its easy as well, really the mechanical part is only 4 bolts (and about 10-14 ring gear bolts) and the pinion nut, they come with directions and it's up to your comfort level, the specialized tools are cheap. There are a lot of threads on how to do it to gauge your comfort level. You could also save money buying the gears and master install kits yourself and not let the shop determine your quality, you can get Motive Gear 4:88s and Motive Gear master install kits for both axles for $498 from Rough Country. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back