rattle in front axle

skullfisher

89 Cherokee Laredo, I started the jeep and went to drive away when i noticed a loud clunking. My first guess was the u-joints, so i took out the front driveshaft and thought i needed to replace the u-joints. So i still drove the jeep w/no front driveshaft and everything was quiet until i went on the highway. Then i heard some rattling and clunking again but not as loud so i stopped and checked the axle and found that the yoke on the axle wiggled a little. This seems to be the problem, but what is it? Pinion bearing? what needs to be fixed and would it be an easy job or should i bring it to a mechanic? I'm ok w/the tools but i'm no pro. it's a old jeep w/lots of miles and i don't have alot of cash. please advise

Sounds like your pinion bearings are shot. Replacing them means pulling the differential carrier and tapping out the bearing races with a brass drift. You will need to have the inner pinion bearing pressed off and on the pinion, a shop can do it if you don't have a press. Reinstall just the opposite. You'll need an in/lb torque wrench to adjust pinion preload.

How do i remove the differential carrier? Do I have to loosen the axles? would this be an expensive job if i went to a mechanic? I will try to look inside the differential this weekend and check it out, thanks for the info.

When you replace the pinion bearings you will need to re-check the ring and pinion pattern, then you might have to re-shim. then you will have to torque in a new crush sleeve to give you the required pre-load on the pinion bearings. It takes about 200lbs of torque to start crushing the crush sleeve to get the 15 inch pounds of resistance on the pinion bearings.
Best advise would be to take it down to a local axle place and have them check it out with an estimate, then you could call around to find a better price if your not happy with theres.

I don't think the D30 in an '89 XJ uses a crush sleeve, and shouldn't need to change the shims after changing the bearings and races. Swap out the bearings and races, check pinion preload per specs and go.

xj's do use crush sleeves in the d30's but you don't need to reshim the carrier as long as you reuse or use the same amount of shim when replacing the pinion bearings. and while you are at it you might just as well replace the carrier bearings. a shop will charge between 6 and 8 hours to do the job,but most competent wrenchers cand do it in their garage.

I have a simliar problem on my 96. I replaced the front u-joints thinking it would solve it but to no avail. Mine only rattles in four wheel drive while decelleration or taking my foot off the gas, not so noticable on acceleration. No noise at all in 2wd. do I most likely have the same problem?

When ever you replace pinion bearings or carrier bearings you have the potential to change the gear patterns, .015 change can cause catastrophic failure of the ring and pinion gears due to improper loading of the gears at the wrong points. Bearings and races can vary up to .01 from run lot to run lot.

i think you are pretty safe reusing the same amount of shim on the pinion if only doing bearings. there is a standard that all manufactures must follow and variations of .01 are unlikely ion the races. just stick with quality brands such as timken,national,or bca

Last edited:
Back