Racing Seats?

GaryMB

I'm finally considering buying new seats for my CJ7, seeing as the original ones are torn up pretty bad. Since I have 5 point harnesses ready to go in the Jeep, and my stock seats let me slide around way too much offroad, I'm thinking of getting a pair of racing seats for the front. Any suggestions on brands, type of material, etc? The Jeep will be topless most of the time, and I'm looking to not spend an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? I noticed some cheap ones at Kragens and on Ebay, but don't know how they will hold up.

To be honest... You wont get very good Racing seats for too cheap... the most awesomest racing seats I think are available... if any of you say sparco you should... lets not go into that... The best are BRIDE at the moment

If you need the best, then ignore this. I kind of like the cheap old plastic seats for a trail rig. Swapping in a pair of junkyard sourced leather seats out of some little sports car is pretty slick too. Most of them were designed to help hold you in place for the cornering they were planned to do.

If your going to be trashing your rig, do as Junkpile suggested, buy some cheapie plastic racers and throw a pad on him and a cover over em. But if you daily drive and want some comfort, check out PRP's. I have heard lots of people say they are very comfortable, more so than the Brides.

The Jeep will be my daily driver, so the trashing of it will be kept to a minimum. As for price, I'm hoping not to spend an arm and a leg after how much arb's and mosers are setting me back, but I'll pay what is necessary to get some decent seats. Those Corbeau Forza seats look pretty nice; I'll look into PRP and Brides too.

I also have a racing harnesses in my 74 CJ5. During the rebuild I replaced the old seats pretty cheaply with new seats out of a brand new wrecked Toyota Celica. They are racing profile, really comfortable and a perfect fit for the harnesses. I did however have to do some minor mods to the drivers side wheel arch behind the seat to allow the seat seat to slide back far enough for my leg room.

Just make sure you get a decent quality seat with a frame and hardware that will hold up to an impact. Seatbelts don't do as much good when the seat removes itself from the vehicle floorboard (ok, I'll get off my ex-medic soapbox now).

ive sat in the comp seats and love them, they are absolutely great. however, the premier look to be the easier to get in and out of but still have good grip on you as far as holding you in. the premier is also a little wider and doesnt hold you quite as tight as the competition series do

Those PRP's just look ugly to me. A lot of people say they are nice though. I would be concerned about the lack of recline adjustment in the seat back.
I have also been looking for a set of seats that won't break the bank. The $50 a pair leather Land Rover Disco seats I bought at a Junkyard are splitting at the seams. At those prices, I may just have them re-covered.
A word of caution to you... if you are a big boy like me, the bucket style racing seats like the plastic ones or the PRP's with the raised sides are more difficult to get in and out of. Even more so, if you don't have a tilt column.
I like the upper scale Bestop seats, but they are more expensive than some race seats. They have raised sides to hold your butt in, but not as tall as some of the race seats.

You'll never hear me say a bad word about my Beards I love them. My Jeep dosen't have a new supertop cause I spent the $ on my seats best $808.00 I ever spent. (and yes they were that much. I got Neoprene covered 5-point compatible w/ belt sealers 3" taller 2" wider and a wider headrest than off the self seats. thats one great thing about Beards if you want to spend th $ you can get them however you want.

Anyone have experience with Corbeau Baja Ultra SS seats? I just came accross a pair, near new, for $200. I'm gonna check them out, and if they are decent, well $200/pair sure beats $240/each.

J ust
E veryone
E lses
P arts

hit the wrecking yards up

in my rig i got a set of VW seats from a jetta, they have nice high bolsters that hold you in place quite well. (all made by reccaro, labeled or not) they will weld directly to the jeep frames easilly.

A while back someone had posted that Mustang seats swap right in to Wranglers with little or no modification. I have been keeping an eye out for parts cars, but none have shown up in good shape yet.

A friend at work just traded his hot tub for a ricer that had some really nice racing seats and an inside roll cage welded to the frame....I ain't one for ricers, but I'd have to say he made a heckuva deal....the seats and roll cage alone would be worth more than the hot tub. I can't remember what kind the seats were, but I'll try to remember to ask him. They are the most comfortable racing seats I've ever sat in, and they really fit my body better than any others I've tried, too.

Back