Problem in gas tank?

grooveman

My 92 YJ starts running out of gas at just below a quarter tank indicated on the gauge. Anyone else had this prob or know what the deal is?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

We all seem to have the curse of the bad gague! Just figure the milage per tank and use your teip reset to figure you gas. I get 234 miles per tank so I fill up at 200. This for me seems to work! Good Luck Tug[addsig]

I got mine to quite that @&%$ when I cleaned the contact behind the guage and the contact strip. Also cleaned the connectors back to the gas tank.[addsig]

I got mine to quite that @&%$ when I cleaned the contact behind the guage and the contact strip. Also cleaned the connectors back to the gas tank.[addsig]

Yo Groove i have the same problem... My gauge will stay at Full for... say 100-150 miles and then get to 1/4 tank in the next 100 some miles. Ran out of gas the first day i bought the beast... now i just see how close i can cut it without running out. I've hit just under 19 gal. at the station (i have the 20 gal. tank)
image-missing.png
If you figure out how to fix it, post it up, but until then ill keep guessin'[addsig]

First check to see all your connections are tight and the wires are intact. (Although this does not usually cause the gauge to be inacurate) The fuel sender mounted into the top of the tank is a float actually inside the tank that can be adjusted to change the gauge reading. (By bending the arm or moving the float, depending on your sender) It should be set to show when you are empty. It requires removing the tank to do this. When removed you can move the float to see how the gauge reacts and adjust accordingly.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have the same problem wit my 91 yj. The gauge is stuck about a quater past full and I,ve ran out of gas three times before. The problem gets worse and worse and I am now to tired and depressed to talk about it anymore.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If you have the time and mechanical ability (understanding that you need to drain the gas, or run it down low, and that it is FLAMABLE) the repair only costs your time. Once the gas is empty (this cuts down the weight you will have to lift) , remove the tank bracket bolts, vent and gas fill hose clamps The tank drops down. Unhook the sender wire, remove the sender. You should see how the float operates and adjust it for empty (up is full down is empty) Once the tank is removed and the sender is in your hand, you can rehook the sender and slide it up and down while someone watches the gauge. This will show you the gauge works if a full pattern. Make sure to mark the sender holes before you remove it so it can be reinstalled in the same direction. Remember THE GAS IS FLAMABLE AND EXTREME CAUTION SHOULD BE TAKEN!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Note:

Because of the different size Jeep tanks and the limited travel of the senders. When you fill your tank the gas is actually above the senders limit and usually reads full for a while until it reaches the top of the sender, then the gauge starts to drop. If it's adjusted correctly it will drop to empty at the same time the tank drops to empty. It's not as important to know your full as it is to know your empty.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back