Peugeot BA 5/10 transmission with a 4.2?

MadMiracle

About six months ago I had a rebuilt transmission installed in my 90 YJ. (4.2L engine with carb). I checked my vehicle inspection plate for the transmission code and it said DDQ. As far as I know, that's Chrysler's code for an AX5 transmission. For now, I only have access to the 97' TJ service manual and DDQ = an AX5. When I went to have the transmission put in, the mechanic said he was sent a Peugeot and that was the wrong type, so he'd have to send it back, but yesterday I checked out the look of the case and the transmission ID # stamped on it and it's undoubedly a Peugeot. If it's a BA 5 or 10, I don't know. Does anyone know if DDQ = an AX5 or BA 5/10 in the 1990 service manual?[addsig]

'87 to '89 YJ with 6cyl. = Peugeot BA10/5
'90 to '95 YJ with 6cyl. = Aisin-Warner AX15
'87 to '95 YJ with 4cyl. = Aisin-Warner AX5

The AX5 and AX15 both carried over into the TJ's from '97 on and were eventually replaced by the NV3550 behind the 6cyl. and the NV1550 behind the newest 4cyl.

You can identify the Peugeot because the transmission case seam runs from front to rear. It runs side to side on the AX5 and AX15.[addsig]

To clarify, I think the switch from Peugeot BA10/5 to the Aisin-Warner AX15 was mid-year '89, so some '89s will have the AX15.[addsig]

Thanks Bounty Hunter for the info. I just came back from a local Jeep service center. They didn't have a 1990 service manual, but they did give me a printout of what transmission and transfer case assemblies that came factory installed by year.

For me it's: YJ 1989-1990: AX15, 6 Cylinder Engine, 4WD, After 3/3/89

I definately know I have a Peugeot BA 5/10. The transmission ID # proves it. I also have photos of those BA 5/10s from various sources that show that suitcase styled, down the middle casing. I compared them to what I've got now and there's no question it's a BA 5/10. Could my YJ originally have had a BA 5/10 straight from the factory? From the printout I should've had an AX15.

I also went to the mechanic who installed that transmission and he said the one he had to send back just wouldn't fit properly. I'm guessing it was an AX15. He said because of the bell-housing and shifter, it just wouldn't fit properly. He compared the old one to the new rebuilt one and said the BA 5/10 fit just right. I wouldn't make such a fuss if I weren't having shifting problems. Maybe it's a clutch or transmission oil problem, but I wanna rule out the possibily that I have the wrong transmission in.[addsig]

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I have an 89 that came from the factory with the peugeot transmission a it went out and I found that it was cheaper to replace is with an AX/15 the only thing my mechanic had to change was the input shaft in the transfer case. Don't put a Peugeot back in they are worthless[addsig]

I just noticed the build date for my YJ on my vehicle information summary that I obtained from my Jeep service center. It's 3/28/1990. If AX15s were installed after March 3, 1989 then I've no friggin' clue how I have a BA 5/10. It's over a year of installing AX15s! The hell?!

Well, I've got an appointment with this mechanic to discuss this matter in a week, and I've got so much info in black and white that I don't care whatever the warranty deadline is, he ordered the wrong transmission. I checked my receipts from when he installed it and he put my YJ down as a 92' with a 4.0. I broke down my VIN #. The 8th alpha/numeric is engine type(T = 4.2L (258CID)L6 2bbl (90)). That's exactly what I've got. The 10th alpha/numeric is model year (L = 1990). That's what I've got. There's no denying that. Whatever he originally ordered, it couldn't have been an AX15.

I know what you mean Jeepr89, AX15s have a heavy duty gear train. Peugeot BA 5/10s are a lighter duty and as Bounty Hunter pointed out, and just as it says on my printout, Peugoet BA 5/10s were used on 87' - 89' YJs with a 4.0L engine. Again, thanks for all the help.[addsig]

Re: 1054671

Jeepr89,

I have an 89 Comanche with the piece of junk BA 5/10 out, I have been looking at the AX 15 too, but can't figure out what the heck to do to get an AX 15 in it. You said all the mechanic had to do was change the input shaft to the transfer case? Mine is a 2WD would I have anything to change?? Any help would be great as I am a complete novice in this relm!

On a 2wd you still want to check the output splines and transmission length to make sure your driveshaft will work with the AX15. It shouldn't be hard to make your driveshaft work if there are slight differences.

Back