ok, maybe im stupid, but i gotta ask....

Green97TJ

arent the air intake systems with the cone filter kinda out in the open to where they're likely to get splashed with water? even hitting a puddle on the highway or something, wouldnt that splash water up around the filter? do you put some sort of shield around them to prevent this? I was thinking about making one for my jeep, but i had to ask this first. Any response would be appreciated

TIA

Nathan[addsig]

There you have it in a nut shell. More air = more likely to take a drink as well. I want to go open and all sporty with the cone air intake but the factory box has it's good points as well never been splashed so far. I am running a K&N filter in my stock air box now. I will not be changeing out untill my filter is shot and it only has several thousnad miles on it now. A splash gaurd that does not restrict the air would be a great thing. Let me know if and when you figure out the perfect answer. tug[addsig]

i haven't had a single problem with mine. i have the K&N system and its worked great. i've had it through some pretty serious mud and some deep water, and nothing has gone wrong. go for it!!![addsig]

Hey tug...

I will not be changeing out untill my filter is shot and it only has several thousnad miles on it now.

dont them filters have a million mile warranty? You've quite a way to go!!:-D :-D :-D

Good question, I was l wondering that myself, I have seen some filters encased with a plastic shield under them... maybe to prevent this?

edited by: JP, Feb 18, 2003 - 10:36 PM[addsig]

Nathan,

this pic Bounty hunter posted regarding an electric fan shows what I was describing.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

id just look for an air intake that has a turn in it, or a short ram that is high enough off the ground that it isnt likely to get submerges. all of my little ricer friends have short rams and cold air and such and in iowa we get pretty heavy rains in the spring and none of them have had problems, i guess thats why they're so expensive, engineering to keep the water out.[addsig]

Mine did fine being splashed with muddy water before I put on the splash guard. Just makes it harder to clean when that Kentucky mud dries on it.

Don't look to close, but it's a milk jug :lol: [addsig]

About every three serious outings in the 4X´s and somebody sucks a load of water through the intake. Often the filter gets sucked down to about the size of a baseball (though K&N are some stiffer). If they insist on trying to start or if they got a really good load the first time, they lock a cylinder with water. Dangerous stuff, water doesn´t compress at all, and hydrolock often results in a broken ring or bent valve.
I usually figure out some way to get air, that seriously minimizes the water threat and then concentrate on other things that get wet.
18 inches of water and a good bow wave will reach the stock intake often.[addsig]

I dont have a splash guard on mine. I instead swung the whole assembly over so the filter sits right on top of the engine. It keeps the filter pretty safe from mud and splashes there. I don't really do any deep water crossings so I really don't worry about it.

Oh yeah and Bounty Hunter...that picture looks really strange with there being no fan shroud in there. I guess it just goes to show just how small that four banger really is. You could almost fit another four banger in front of it hehe.[addsig]

I was wondering the same thing when I first thought about upgrading my air intake. I finally decided to go with an ARB Snorkel and a K&N in the stock airbox. This way you get the best of both worlds. Your snorkel will act like a ram air so you get a constant flow of cold air and you will never have to worry about sucking water into your intake. I decided to go this route after sucking water into my intake about 200 kms out in the mountains, hydraulic locking the motor and having to pull out all the plugs and hope for the best. I lucked out...no damage. I decided that the little extra money invested in the snorkel was well worth it instead of the potential of sucking water in again and doing some serious damage.[addsig]

YES! When they're out in the open they are subject to getting water in them and as we all know, that's bad! Bounty Hunter did it right and used what looks like a milk jug. I've been trying to figure out what I was going to use and now I know! Milk jugs work great for everything! :-D I use them as a parts cleaner, a paintball pod filler, an anchor and other stuff[addsig]

Milk Jug? No just bend a peice of aluminum at a 90 degree angle and screw it to the old air box tray!!! I just made this intake about a month ago and I havn't had any problems with it getting wet...
image-missing.png
Sorry but the milk jug looks kinda cobbed up, but I'm sure it works! Don't wanna dis anyone just my thoughts.[addsig]

I know that this thread is from a long time ago, but I don't suppoes that anyone still has the pictures from this? I am just trying to figure out a way to give a little more protection from splashing onto the air filter.

I have the cone K&N on my 4L YJ, and it came with a "cold air box" as they call it, or as I like to call it, a half a$$ed cold air intake which is basically a square with one wall taken out for the intake to come through, so it's..kinda guarded from elements, not very much when it comes to heavy mudding and deep water. Although I've never hit water that deep, but have heard stories from friends about their share of bad water experiences..haha.
As for me, personally I think the intake is great, I do notice a difference from the stock intake to this, I'm sure everyone can, but my main problem is I used to do some intense mudding, and I before I drive it away, I would clean the intake right out of the mudding area to make sure nothing is caked on the intake and sits there too long.
Even doing that, it still kind of damaged the ends of the cotton filter and there are little bits of pebbles behind the aluminum mesh.

I was thinking about something to build to protect it more, a screen of some sort on the top and a hole on the side of the box for the intake pipe to slide through, but I'm worried about decreasing the air flow.
I want something like a 3 sided "pre-filter". I've seen those pre-filters on my buddies pre runner/baja vehicles and sand rails and those are cool. Something like that.

Back