Oil pressure?

Jesse

So I've noticed my Jeep doing this for awhile, and I'm not sure if its normal or a problem, but after my Jeep warms up, when I'm idling my oil pressure drops pretty low as you can see in the picture. Is this normal? My jeep is my first vehicle with an oil pressure gauge.

Attachments

• Photo0014.jpg
    Photo0014.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 2,228

Here's a couple things to check.

1. Engine oil pressure may be fine, it may be your gauge or sending unit. Check the electrical output from the sending unit and compare to specifications. If you don't have the specifications, remove the sending unit and plug in a direct reading portable pressure gauge. If those check out, it may just be your gauge. Gauges last a long time, but a Jeep environment can be tough, so they do go bad now and then.
  2. How's your RPMs? Is the engine RPM running normal or slow? If slow, the oil pressure will drop a bit, but probably not as much as it appears your's has dropped.
  3. Have you changed the oil and filter lately? Did you use the same viscosity oil? Did you add any additives to the oil? A dirty filter can change pressure and so can a change in oil viscosity.

Anyway, those are the things I check out.

My 02' Wrangler does that kind of, but not nearly as severe as yours does. I haven't had a problem with it thus far, and I just hit 110k miles. I just changed the oil and filters yesterday and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I thought there may have been something wrong but so far nothing has led me to believe that this is out of the ordinary. Sorry I don't have much more information.

I'm not experiencing anything negative, I just wanted to make sure there isn't something wrong. Thanks for your inputs.

Jesse,

I am running a 2.5 in my 97 TJ. Had a simular issue with oil pressure all last summer. The gauge would be good initially but drop after engine was warm. I changed the pressure sending unit, but no change. I was frustrated to the point that I even installed a mechanical pressure gauge to see if it was the gauge. Pressure still did the same thing and even worse dropped right to zero. When I had seen that, I knew there was something wrong with the motor. I still drove the Jeep right until November. In November the engine started banging real hard. I stopped driving it, took the motor out and pulled it apart. Found the number 2 connecting rod bearing gone completely as well as number 3 connecting rod bearing not far behind. I completely rebuilt the engine for about a grand with some good goodies inside it. Also had to replace the crank. It runs good now with the pressure where it sould be. The engine took from the time the pressure dropped off in the spring till November about 6 months to die. I hope this is not what is your problem but might be. Good luck.

So I've noticed my Jeep doing this for awhile, and I'm not sure if its normal or a problem, but after my Jeep warms up, when I'm idling my oil pressure drops pretty low as you can see in the picture. Is this normal? My jeep is my first vehicle with an oil pressure gauge.

Spoke to a mechanic last year who had the same 98 Wrangler. Told me to change my oil more often, problem went away so far.

I dont think theres anything wrong. i have a cj with a 5.9L and when its cold it will idle around 40 but then once i hit the gas it goes up to 70ish. but once its hot it will idle really really low close to zero but then once I hit the gas it goes above 50. I talked to the guys at 4wheel parts about it and they said that it was normal.

Your very much so in the clear

Back