np 231 problems

Tagg

i got my yj winterized (i checked the antifreeze )so it snowed lots today and well we went playin and mid way through the trail my tcase started makin lots of noise and causing the jeep to shake and i dont want to drive it in 4x4 i think its my tcase(i got a spare) im pretty shure thats what it is .....it still drives good in 2wheel no problems......dont have any noise from the front diff when im driving.......pls help....dont want to do the wrong thing.......

sometimes my tcase will make that noise, but thats cause i put in in 4L and its not seated correctly. maybe thats the problem.

Did you check the front axle ujoints? Give the front pinion yoke and front TC output a good shake side to side and watch for play.

pull the drive shafts and put it in 4 and see if it does it when its not under load, then check your pinion up front, and pull the dif cover and make sure everything is still all there. if you still havent found anything check the output yoke on the tcase and then open the tcase if that isnt it.

in the case it could be a couple of things
-the front output bearings
-the chain stretched and skipping
-bearings in 4wd selector hub
-something with the planetaries

or it could actually be anything, those were just he ones that came to mind first

i got it up in the air today and i found 1 bad u joint so i changed them both on the front shaft .....but it still vibrating the whole tub i think im babying it to much ........by putting in new joints made a diffrence .....but still vibration ....??????? i know the chain will make noise when its driving so i used a stethescope (i cant spell, im a mechanic) with it up in the air at my shop.......a little noisy but not much....my buddy paul at progear said try driving it at a higher rpm around 2grand...so ill try that ...pls more info guy and gals ......

Back