Not a good day.

jeepn

I went to change the rear main in my 78 CJ7 and when I got the oil pan off I found what appeared to be small chunks of plastic piecesin the bottom. Any idea of what that could be and could that be the reason the I am also burning oil? I cleaned everything out and finished the job. Now the dang thing leaks even more. Not a very good day.[addsig]

Welcome dude and sorry for the wooes you have there. I am not one of the wrench types here on the board so I can at least bump you post back to the top for you. I hope it is not real bad for you to get repaired. Tug[addsig]

the only thing i can think of mybe pieces of the oil fiter and about the leak sounds like you need a new gasket for the oil pan and a new oil fiter[addsig]

I went to change the rear main in my 78 CJ7 and when I got the oil pan off I found what appeared to be small chunks of plastic piecesin the bottom. Any idea of what that could be and could that be the reason the I am also burning oil? I cleaned everything out and finished the job. Now the dang thing leaks even more. Not a very good day.

Warning...this is a complete stab as I have not seen the plastic pieces in question.

The pieces could be chunks of the gasket from the oil pan that fell in there when you were removing the pan, they could also be chunks from the sleeve that holds the oil pump drive shaft to the distributor. I hope the chunks are big enough that the oil pump sump screen would not have allowed them to be picked up and circulated through the system (ie. plug the oil filter)

just a few guesses...I would take the chunks to your local mechanic and see what he/she thinks of them...most will give out free advice like that...bring a box of donuts...that can really open up the information floodgates.

Good Luck,

Hoss[addsig]

This is another stab at an idea, but a year or so ago I bought a suburban(cheap) to pull the motor out of and put into another truck, anyhow the previous owner said that he had recently had the timing chain replaced, we pulled the pan to use the one from the other vehicle and found plastic pieces from what we assumed were part of the original timing chain aparatus. Oh yea the burb was of the same vintage of your jeep. Just a thought hope ya get it figures out. Evan[addsig]

Back