New from Md.

LeeV

Hi gang; I'm glad to have found this list. I hope to learn from everybody's experience and knowledge. Waited till I was in my 50s to finally get a Jeep, and I love it! Am currently swapping a Vortec 6.0 into it, so I'm learning mechanics as I go! Don't know what I can offer the list, but I'll do my best! ~Lee

Welcome to the family Lee!!!

What Jeep will be the lucky recipient of that 6 liter?

Don't know what I can offer the list, but I'll do my best!

Pictures of the transplant would be nice.

Welcome to the family Lee!!!

What Jeep will be the lucky recipient of that 6 liter?

Pictures of the transplant would be nice.

Thank you! It's an '88 Yj, and here are the pics. The first is in August, and then the next 3 are over the last 3 weeks. I teach high school, and go to grad school, so my "fun" time has to be squeezed in the middle, which is right now! :)

Attachments

• My Jeep small.jpg
    My Jeep small.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 141
  • JeepGarage small.jpg
    JeepGarage small.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 188
  • Engine pulling small.jpg
    Engine pulling small.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 208
  • EngineTrannyOut.JPG
    EngineTrannyOut.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 122
Welcome to the "Z"!!!! You stuck a familiar chord with me........wanted a Jeep since I was 16, and finally got one when I was 50!!

Life is GOOD!!!

Welcome to the "Z"!!!! You stuck a familiar chord with me........wanted a Jeep since I was 16, and finally got one when I was 50!!

Life is GOOD!!!

Hahahaha! Yep, even when life isn't all grins/giggles, my Jeep makes me smile! Nice rig you have there! Thx for the welcome!

Looks good. I miss the days of ripping and tearing (not the cost, though).

What are you planning for the rest of the drivetrain to handle the 6 liter's power?

Looks good. I miss the days of ripping and tearing (not the cost, though).

What are you planning for the rest of the drivetrain to handle the 6 liter's power?

Well, on divorced teacher salary it's not easy - verrrrrrry slow! Actually, I have about 5,000 in the jeep and engine/transmission with only 29,000 miles on it, so I figure I'm ahead of the game in my book.

I'm using the NP231 with a SYE, and stock D35/D30s with 4:10 gearing for now. (Nobody can quite agree on what gears would be best for highway/beach and occasional trek to the river!) Keep in mind I'm not crawling or racing; this is just a project for me to learn something about mechanics, and I'll take it with the right company to the beach or down to the river with the dog. So I won't be horsing it. I plan to put in a Ford 8.8 as soon as I find one that's reasonable. With 7" flares, 4" susp. lift and 1" bl, I'll add 35's and be good to go!

Hey Lee, nice Jeep. You're in MD? I'm in Baltimore myself (well, Timonium technically). I do HVAC work at a LOT of the schools around here, so maybe I've seen you and you just don't know it?

Hi Jason, and thanks! I teach out at Brunswick High, just before 340 crosses over to Harper's Ferry. Been out to Timonium several times! Let me know if you're ever out this way.

Been out that way several times. I did a job at the USDA Fruit Research Lab (don't ask) that's out in the middle of a corn field in Kearneysville WV. When you get your Jeep ready to wheel you should head up to Rausch Creek or Paragon (if they ever open back up). I'm also planning on exploring some public trails in VA and also Green Ridge when time allows. If you're ever in need of some company to wheel with, just let me know!

Been out that way several times. I did a job at the USDA Fruit Research Lab (don't ask) that's out in the middle of a corn field in Kearneysville WV. When you get your Jeep ready to wheel you should head up to Rausch Creek or Paragon (if they ever open back up). I'm also planning on exploring some public trails in VA and also Green Ridge when time allows. If you're ever in need of some company to wheel with, just let me know!

Ok; I won't ask! ;-) Let me know if you're every swinging through, and you can stops by to see the mess and do the introduction thing! This will take me some time, but I'm not sure I'll be up for any major trails. For one thing, I have no experience wheeling, and I'm not really building a bulletproof crawler - just a fun vehicle that'll probably be fine on easy trails, but certainly not a rock crawler! I'd still enjoy the company, though!

Welcome Lee... Oh sure... That is where it starts! "I'm not building a bulletproof crawler" and then something happens... If I modify it by doing this? or this? BTW - I put an 8.8 on the back of my YJ. An interesting experience. Even better (and a lot more bulletproof) back-country!

OMG a Fredneck!!! :D

Welcome Lee! I've worked in Frederick for Ma Bell and in Brunswick during a stint with Amtrak. My sister lived in Frederick for a while too.

I'm in PA now but grew up in MD.

Looking forward to seeing progress on the YJ.

Harry

OMG a Fredneck!!! :D

Welcome Lee! I've worked in Frederick for Ma Bell and in Brunswick during a stint with Amtrak. My sister lived in Frederick for a while too.

I'm in PA now but grew up in MD.

Looking forward to seeing progress on the YJ.

Harry

Thanks, Harry!
I teach at Brunswick High, and live here in Frederick; great city!
I'll keep ya posted on my progress - going to work on it now! ~Lee

Welcome Lee... Oh sure... That is where it starts! "I'm not building a bulletproof crawler" and then something happens... If I modify it by doing this? or this? BTW - I put an 8.8 on the back of my YJ. An interesting experience. Even better (and a lot more bulletproof) back-country!

Thank you!~ And yeah, I've heard from many that's where it starts...! I'll be looking for an 8.8 for this thing after I get it going. ~Lee

hmmmm... i'm Lee... and i have an 88yj...... and i'm on the z.....i'm 28 though and in nc... small world... welcome to the z ... love to see the pics of the swap.

Back