my new long arm! i got some questions?

dmille4.6

i managed my to trade my way into an 02 TJ. it has a six in fabtech long arm kit, it has super 35, super 30, arbs front and rear. i absolutely stole this thing. ive got 7800 in it! :) i ve got a couple of questions. ive never had a long arm lift or arbs before, so i was wondering if there was any type of maintenance i should be doing besides just greasing the lift. thanks. also it has not ac and would like to put it on. anyone got a wreck laying around or advice. thanks oh one more question. the bumpstops on this thing are enormous like six inches. can i take these off, what is it protecting?

Attachments

• 02 long arm.jpg
    02 long arm.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

Swaping in the A/C system I can't comment on, never done it.
The ARB should not require any special maintenance unless something goes wrong like the compressor. Good lockers but I will say this about them, make certain your not spinning any tire when you engage them. Otherwise you can break them when they try to engage while one side is still and the other is spinning. They can be engaged on the fly as long as the wheels are both spinning the same speed.
The bump stops are keeping the axles from compressing too much so it is best to leave them. But pictures of them specifically might help decide if changing them is possible.
Since you do not know the maintenance history I would start by changing all the fluids and greasing everything.
Careful wheeling 35" tires on those small axles, IMO they are a little on the light side for 35's. For a DD they would be fine.
BTW really nice lookin Jeep you got there.

it has a super 30 and 35 kit. hope that will hold up, but im not too heavy on the skinny pedal! most of the time.:D thanks for the advice on the arbs. i will take some pics of the bump stops when i get home. they look really big to me and i noticed the tire doesnt travel all the way to the fender. i guess thats the reason for it:???:

if you swap axles, you can easily run a 37-38" tire with that lift. Also I would perhaps try to sell those springs for something more in the 3-3.5" range, lower your height a bit and offer more stability, plus you will get a little cash for them.

There is no more or less maintance to a long arm as opposed to a short arm kit, after your trail ride, check the jam nuts on the links and the mounting point for all the suspension components would be the best advice.

While people will rip on the d35 and the 35" tires, it is a doable set up. but I would definatly source some spare shafts. a super 35 kit only offers the same strength as a regular D44, and a 35" tall tire is pretty much the limit for that axle. unless your upgraded to 30 spline, stock D35 shafts will work just fine.

thanks for the advice and compliments. i really like this one. its the best riding jeep iv ever had! :) i drive it 20 miles one way to work with the swaybar disconnected. here is a picture of the bumpstops. is this normal? they are almost half the spring height. can i remove them or make them smaller?

Attachments

• bump stop.jpg
    bump stop.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 321
Yes it is normal. if you articulate the suspension the full cycle of the spring, 1. you will prematurely fatigue the spring, two you will probably unseat the drooping spring and it will pop out.

If you wanted to cut them I say go for it, but I would make sure your coils are captured on both upper and lower buckets.

thanks for the advice! i may just end up waiting until these tires wear out and then go bigger ;) i have at least two inches at full flex before the tires hit the front fenders. i also have a bushing wore out on the lower control arm. i guess ill have to get that from fabtech?

Back