Misfire code on 97 TJ

jb22041

hi all, i have a 97 wrangler that was stored for close to 2 years, was running fine untill I replaced the plugs, that led to a misfire code, so I went with new wires, new cap and rotor, still has a slight detectable miss, generally under 2000 rpm, it is throwing me a code 43, says misfire detected 1 thru 6, max dwell time not achieved, is this now a timing related issue? seem to smell a bit of a rich exhaust also, any help or thoughts would be welcome, as i am starting to get a lil baffled

It sounds to me like you got the wrong firing order on the cylinders (mixed up the spark plug wires).

I'm not sure what engine you have, but the firing order should be:

2.5L 1-3-4-2

4.0L 1-5-3-6-2-4

Attachments

• firingorder.jpg
    firingorder.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,498
Did you gap the plugs proper. Check and make sure none had cracked porcelain from the install. Dwell Is the time it takes the coil to become fully saturated. So if gap is to close or to wide or if it's cracked will change the dwell. Also the coil could be getting weak. They were known to fail.

double checked the firing order, that was correct, cap and rotor were ok, but replaced them anyway, not a big misfire, jjust has that hint of slightly rough idle, almost like a big cam would do in a hot rod, havent pulled the plugs back out yet, guess i should make that my next step to check for a crack, and recheck the gap, thanks for the input

Did you gap the plugs proper. Check and make sure none had cracked porcelain from the install. Dwell Is the time it takes the coil to become fully saturated. So if gap is to close or to wide or if it's cracked will change the dwell. Also the coil could be getting weak. They were known to fail.
is there a way to self test the coil to check the output? or is that something a shop would have to do? thanks for the help

Usually the scan tool will tell you dwell desired voltage etc. I usually test with a known good coil I keep in my tool box.

just an update on my trouble code, I pulled the plugs to check for a crack, at some point when they were installed the first time, the #2 plug gap got closed almost completly, pulled them all to check, and regap, problem solved, guess I was over thinking it.... should have started there i guess, anyways, thanks all for the help and input,

Back