Lucas Transmission Fix

TrailRatedRN

I've seen several posts on here about using additives to calm noises and clean working parts. What about fixing leaks? Lucas claims this fluid will do just that. Opinions? Anyone have any experience with it or other brands with the same claim? I figure a $10 fix is worth a shot before a couple grand is thrown into the jeep at a transmission shop for a job that's beyond my grease monkey ability.

I'm the first one to be skeptical of anything in a bottle that's claiming to fix something. Lucas is the only company that I believe in when it comes to this. I had a well worn cherokee with a terribal power steering leak. I tried a couple of other brands as I was too busy to fix it right at the time. They slowed it some but when I put lucas in it it stopped. My daughters power steering was kind of noisy on her car. The lucas bottle said it renewed worn rack an pinions. I dumped the system and filled it with lucas and it was quiet as a mouse. I've not tried it on a trans but I wouldn't hesitate if it we're me.

How long until you plan on fixing it properly?
What seal front of trans or rear?

FunnysignsfromAustralia4-1.jpg

Last edited:

How long until you plan on fixing it properly?
What seal front of trans or rear?

Front.
If this helps, I don't foresee me paying someone a couple grand to put a new seal on until this fix is no longer a fix.

I read the "what did you do to your jeep today" section and seen a reply to your transmission post that I thought was good to bring up on here.. Are you sure its the front seal leaking and not the rear main seal?? Rear main leak is common, does it look like motor oil or trans fluid? Rear main will leak right where the trans and engine mate together.

It is a definite, visible drip. Like a leaky faucet. Once the engine is off and the drip has stopped, I wipe the area clean then I can tap the plate and make a drip form at the base of the seal. My ATF was a whole bottle low

i think you need a yj. your jeep has been broken more then its been running and a yj would never do that to you. :)

Pardon me for saying so , but if that trans has ever given any trouble before , wondering if the fix is to convert to a 5-speed ? I don't know if that model trans are reputable or not , but years ago , me and my brother converted a YJ trans from auto to a ax15 because it was chronic. He got it cheap because the trans shop wanted mega bucks to rebuild . Guy bailed out and my brother bought it. I at the time owned a '78 cherokee w/t-18 4-spd. and he knew it was dependable. My brother did it right with my help and was great after . Drove for sometime and sold it to a serious enthusiast who wanted a jeep with stick. I know manual can have their share of problems and some think auto is more reliable , but when a vehicle is sidelined for an auto trans problem , you know the deal , the shop dosen't care , it's all about the Benjamin's . Wonder if you thought the same at any point .

surely one of your 4x club members know how to do a seal replacement and would be happy to help a girl out...
I dont know anything about auto trans or I would offer to come replace it for you since we are not to far from one another, sorry. Does anyone know if this front seal is like a axle pinion seal and can be replaced without taking the trans apart??

The front and rear seal in an auto trans are like a grease seal that you will find on wheel hubs with drum brakes or disc brake rotors and rear axles. I am not familiar with that model trans in the jeep in question , but any auto trans should would have similar seals . I personally want to try and research this trans to back up my claim , but I'm sure that once the trans and t-case are down , you would be dealing with extracting a seal the traditional way you would any earlier design. I understand the concern for logistics , it isn't like you would be performing a tune up , we're talking about dropping a t-case and trans which require at the minimum a good floor jack designed to accommodate and support a transmission. Two people can pull it off with the jeep off the ground high enough , a high enough lift installed is a plus in this case . You know it's just the case of getting to that seal. Nominally , that is all that is required is the seal swap , but I would want to know if there are other concerns such as the bushings in the pump to be contended with ? I personally have never heard of this being the case , but would want to know beforehand as anyone else would . I don't think it would be much different than something like a turbo 350 or 400 we are accustomed to back in the day . Done those a few times . About to get into someone's minivan for a tune up , oh joy . Will try to look up something for this trans . Your right , I would hope someone could come to the rescue . Darn logistics .

I just changed the ATF today and added the Lucas fix. No drip when I warmed it up. My more immediate problem: I didn't think about the increased fluid level the Lucas would provide. When I checked the ATF at warm idle, the fluid is higher than the farthest hole. Is this very bad? Do I have to drain some?

It pains me to say this , with all the trouble your having , it's never good to overfill any system since this can cause problems such as foaming in the transmissions , not good . Poor lubrication and possible pick up problems but your main concern is creating excessive pressure in the transmission causing more leaks , which is detrimental to your transmissions present condition .
Sorry to hear this has happened to you now , hoping your trans pan has a drain plug ? That would be a blessing right about now . If not , to avoid the messy job of taking down the pan or even loosing it to allow some fluid to drain , and risking bending pan rails if you only partially remove bolts , do you know someone who may have a fluid evacuation system ? You can remove a measured amount as needed. Likely , you only overfilled it by one quart at the most , if all else fails , no drain plug or evacuation pump , you can carefully loosen pan bolts slightly to allow fluid to escape . Do this carefully to avoid too much loss as the trans fix medicine is mixed and will be less effective in less quantity . Above all , safety first . Fluid is HOT , as you know . It is not pleasant to get splashed with HOT trans fluid under a vehicle ! I'm sure you would only do this with engine/trans cold , but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do , I know . Best of luck and please be careful , I would not feel good advising someone to perform a task and find they got hurt because . I try to advise someone the best I can and learn from my trials as well .
best of luck , we know things are tough enough :rolleyes:

nah, let it go for a bit to see if you are going to get any leaks

This advice is not completely wrong , having done it myself on engines or transmissions , but I am a bit squeamish about trans overheat , that is why I over cautioned in my reply . And safety always .

I can only imagine the luxury of a drain plug. I will have to loosen the bolts tomorrow and drain some. I have a siphon with a hand pump, but I don't think the tubing is skinny enough to feed down the filler tube.

I guess only us XJ owners with AW4 trans have the luxury of drain plugs. My first ever . It is proper to maintain correct level for reasons stated as long term driving under an overfilled condition can cause previously stated problems and you've suffered enough mentally as well just losing sleep over an expensive repair bill . I know I would . If the tube will not work for you , carefully and slowly allow fluid to escape . It will be messy , you know , but I only cautioned against driving over full , not knowing how far your daily drive and risk of overheat . I don't know if your trans has suffered any of this condition prior to your discovering the leak . Tried to look up posted comments of your vehicle and transmission , but the Internet is full of pros and cons for every vehicle. Lets just worry about your jeep . Really hoping for the best as only you know your jeep and how much it has suffered as its poor owner has as well :rolleyes:

I'm just lurking in the background, figure I better lurk around here more then running my chops on general chat. Liked the commercial but the guy looks a little shifty.

While not happy in the least of your transmission problem , I guess we can say your successful as you had wished to be able to buy time until you can work out a plan .

Back