Lifting my Cherokee

XJNick

Hi, the time has come when I need to replace my Cherokee's suspension, so I figure why not lift it while i'm at it :-D. The old suspension is original (has 400,xxx miles on it :-O) and I'd like to replace as much of it as possible.

I've been looking at the Rusty's 3" kit that comes with shocks, coil springs, leaf springs, and brake line extension. If I buy this kit, will I/should I need to replace anything else? Are there any other kits I should consider besides Rusty's?

Thanks for any advice
-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jun 13, 2003 - 04:42 AM[addsig]

There are alot of kits out there, and they all have just about the same stuff and cost about the same. Here is a great deal form 4wheelparts.com. http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1856&occlass=STWP&cat=PAC

How high do you plan on going?. if you stay at 3"'s or under you wont have to replace anything else, but you should drop the transfer case some kits come with stuff to drop the tcase . This puts less stress on the drive shaft and u-joints. You might even be able to go 4"'s with a tcase drop, but after that you'll have to start changing other parts.[addsig]

I don't need to go any higher than 3". Also, I'm going to keep the tires I have for now. I just want to make sure I'm replacing everything important to making the suspension stable and able to carry heavy loads safely (and no, i'm not the heavy load :-D :lol:)

Thanks
-Nick

edited by: XJNick, Jun 14, 2003 - 05:07 AM[addsig]

nick - i used that rustys' 3" suspension system on my XJ... it worked beautifully... no extra BS needed, just an alignment![addsig]

You can lift that '88 XJ up to 4" without using a dropped pitman arm or transfer case drop. It's the '97 and newer XJ's that need the transfer case drop with almost any amount of lift.[addsig]

3" may seem like a mile compared to the existing suspension.. :-D Mine sure did..but after a couple months...those old tires sure looked small..so I got more tire...and gee :evil: now I need more lift...next I dragged my bumpers at the mudhole...can't let that happen....I think most of my original lift parts are basking next to the shop...and I realized that the lift kit that I didn't buy first would have been a bargain in the long run...

Dawg[addsig]

I got the 3" Rusty's lift. It just arrived today :-D. I'm sure i'll have lots of fun trying to remove original bolts :p :roll:. For now I'll be keeping my P225/75/R15 tires since they aren't very old. Thanks for the help.

-Nick[addsig]

Back