kansas

Jason! Really!!, You came from Texas for crying out loud:cry::lol:. Noodling= wearing a glove, go in a chest deep river water and with your hands, find a catfish and stick your hands in its mouth and grab it out of the water. Sometimes they can be as big as your teenager.:shades::shock:

I once caught a salmon with my bare hands....yup...like a bear. Right outside in my back yard. Had 'im in the frying pan in about 10 minutes. :shades:

really? thats what you guys are talking about?

i am not really from texas, we moved here when i was a senior in high school. i grew east of los angeles. i can tell you how to get out of a drive by and which neighborhoods are safe to walk through but i don;t know anything about grabbing a fish with your hands.

LOL. I wasn't born and raised here either, as a matter of fact, i wasn't even born in this country although i'm still half American and also half Asian. One of the things i learned real quick here in Texas is how to fish and hunt. Honestly, i'd rather keep jumping out of an airplane at 14,000 and 16,000 ft. than be on a chest deep water and not know if the catfish you get a hold of is bigger than you. Screw that crap.:shades:

i can fish with a pole but i have never been hunting. i can shoot, carried the 60 in the army so i can hit anything with that and as long as i can see you, i can hit you with an m16. i made sure of that since we were always on alert for the middle east when i was active duty.

why would a person want to grab fish anyways? that seems to defeat the whole purpose of fishing. i love fishing because of the the challenge of getting the fish to grab that spoon or whatever you use. but grabbing a fish? maybe you have to do it to enjoy it?

Mine was kind of by accident, actually. I lived in Washington at the time, and I was sitting on my back porch. The tide was going out, and I could see a salmon jumping from spot to spot trying to find where all the water was going. So I ran out and grabbed him.

Yup, catching catfish wit yer hands
Hell guys! I'm was raised in N. Cal for Christ's sake and I know what noodling is!! I guess it just goes to show I"ve been in the midwest way to long! :p
Here's the "proper" way to do it. Durring spawning season cats find holes to nest in. And they be mighty protective of thier eges!! So, you go along the river bank (or lake) and feel for holes or feel under whatevers in the water where a nice lunker might like to nest. Sometimes you don't have to feel much to see if its a hole you've found as that matha might just get ya. If she hasn't yet, you stick your hand in thar and get 'er really ****ed off, then she'll just chomp up your whole hand. So you're not grabbing her, she's grabbing YOU! If you can, you find some way to get a hold of her (with both hands if possible, one inside one out) Gills are good grips. While fighting her out of her hole and trying to keep her from killing you, you have to run a stringer through her gills. And you have to remeber how bad those spiny fins can hurt. If you've never been stabbed by a catfish's pectoral or dorsal fin, you have haven't experienced real pain!!
I've been stabbed by a florida salt water cat once. They actually have somekind of neurotoxin that will scare the brown muck out of you once you feel it running up your arm. Not to worry, just turn the hot tub as high as you can stand it and soak for a spell (hope you have a hot tube on hand). Glad I had internet access when it happened or I would have headed to the hospital.
So, not a bad idea to wear your kevlar :lol:

Ok, back on track. Some whimpy folks use their feet to noodle, spreading both feet inside the ol gal's mouth and having friends do the rest of the work or then reaching down and grabbing her. Yes, the big ones can draw blood and leave some "road rash".
Oh ya, and watch out for snapping turtles (very aggresive lil *******s) and venomous snakes.

PBS had a 2 part series on it just about a week or 2 ago. the title was Okie Noodling and Okie Noodling II.

It was finally legalized in a small part of Missouri a few years back (up north if I remember right), but I don't know if it still is. My kin folk down in southern Mo used to do it back in the day. They'd go out after the floods resided. They told me they're pull out a snake once in a while. Probably happened once and they just spiced up the story. and they probably didn't acctually pull it of an underwater hole.

I tried to find a decent youtube vid, but I didn't like the ones I was seeing and didn't feel like spending all day going through them all.

Maybe you have to actually do it to understand, but that doesn't sound like very much fun at all. Ill stick to the ol rod and reel. But at least the mystery of noodling has been explained. Thanks.

yup, doesn't sound like fun at all. my wife saw that show, she told me about it on the way home from work today. apparently, all the rich people are doing it now and paying big bucks to the guides.

i'll stick with a pole also. if i am not surfing, going in the water isn't as fun as it used to be when i was a kid unless there is some kind of high embankment/cliff or rope

That's one thing I would love to do in my lifetime. I have always been fascinated with natural disasters. Has anybody here ever chased a tornado before? Or even experienced one? Id love to hear about it.

Kabsas has tons of tornados in the summer and many many chances to chase one. Of course the tornados do move slower than the news and movies make it seem so you will see everyone outside right around when the sirens go off to watch the show.

They do move fast but you usually have enough warning to leave before anything to bad goes down.

You know it will be a really good show when the sky is green.

Of course I am the one in the basement with the news on hiding in my bath tub but whatever.

When your away from houses its a differrent story, just you your friends with a video camera and a giant twister.

you just drive after it? it must be a central usa deal, i have lived in coastal states my whole life and none of this stuff sounds like fun

I'm from the East coast myself....OC Md, VA Beach, Kitty Hawk, Carolina Beach, Wilmington Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Myrtle Beach, Savanah Ga, all the way to Daytona and Miami!! You haven't lived until you caught a White Marlin by it's sword!! Up HILL!! In the SNOW!! Both WAYS!! wtf are you guys talkin' about?

Last edited:
see, another sea side person who has no ideas on what this stuff is the land locked states do for entertainment.

Back