jeep tj lights turing on when touhing the body

captjanes

my friend has a 98 jeep tj and the jeep dont have to be running but when you touch the out side of the jeep the lights turn on. touch the door or fender flare the light turns on and the switch dont need to be on. i would think that it would be a ground somewhere but that is just a guess.. have any one has this problem before?

Geez, that sounds possesed!!! I've never heard of such a thing.

I have a buddy whose Jeep had weird lighting issues like that. His would turn on by themselves while the Jeep was sitting in the garage. He just took it to have it fixed a week or so ago. The guy that fixed it told him that that particular switch in Jeeps has had numerous problems. I'd start there.

My guess would be a faulty switch in the dash. I too have never heard this, but the flare is not a point of grounding, so I am unsure why touch there would cause it..

on another note, when the Missus touched me in random spots, I light up too ;)

Yep! that's a weird one. Electrifying personality issues maybe?, J/K. I would guess a grounding issue, however, fender flare?, even when you touch a plastic component?.

it lights up when u touch plastic too.. i dont understand because plastic is a insulator and if u touch the fender flare it is panted so u wouldn't get a ground through that either.. a guy from a garage told him that it could be the door switch.. what do u think of that?

That would make sense if the lights that turns on is the dome lamps. It's just weird that it would be evident by touching the body and not just the door.

Back