Jeep Pickups

sillsmack

All,

Just some reminiscence of the old Full sized Jeep Pickups.

Of all the big trucks they ever was, the Jeep trucks had the greatest name :

- GLADIATOR -

Before Chrysler got the US gov to co sign that loan which bailed Chryler out of Bankrupcy in the '70's, The GLADIATOR was the truck of choice for the US Forest Service.

Whenever me N my family would go camping in California's many National Forest, we would see many USFS employees out and about the forest in their GLADIATORS.

It was one tough truck. They had a 343 cid big block V8 which gave about 7 or 8 mpg, but back in those days, 70's, gas was cheap.

I thought it was a shame when the USFS started buying all DODGE and abandon the GLADIATOR.]

Are those the ones with the really cool grill (looks like a smile)?

Terry

Affectionately know as the 'Rhino' grill in the FSJ community...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

[addsig]

True, those were some tough trucks! I actually bought one from the USFS [1969, 350 Buick motor w/69k miles in 1996], man that thing had some grunt! Dana 300 & 4.11 gears...we pulled stumps out of the ground! with never a problem.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

[addsig]

I would love to have one! Heck fire just the name makes you smile. GLADIATOR My wifes grandfather had one and when we got married i tried everyway in the world to buy it. Ol Roy was bed fast from age and sick, I would go up and set with him and we would talk all about fishen campen and huntin out of the truck. Said he was going to let her go but would not sell it to anyone in the family. No family was going to be lost over a deal. Smart old feller I do in deed miss him, and the GLADIATOR. Tug :-D [addsig]

Hey Guy, I have a 74 Jeep J-10 Manual Shift, I'm trying to replace the
ignition switch on the column, can you help me. I have the column off, but
cant get the switch released.
Tom :-? [addsig]

I was given a 1970 gladiator pickup with a buick 350 and a thm400 automatic transmission. How hard would it be to put this config into an early cj 7? I have a mostly stock 78 cj 5 with a 258, but I would like to build a 7 for some serious boggin' and trail ridin'. I would like to use the thm, but I wonder if it is worth it. I know that the buick motor is wider than a chevy 350, so would I be better off going the common route, or doing something out of the ordinary? Thanks, burdman

If you love the FULL SIZE, like I do, then check this site out: http://www.ifsja.org/
International Full Size Jeep Association
There is a VERY knowledgeable group of guy there that have info on everything from stock resoration to mild up grades to extreme rock crawlin. And we do swap into and out of "baby Jeeps". Check 'em out..... Jeff

I got an old Jeep, it's a '66 J-2000. Other than the front end and dash it's pretty much like an '80 J-10. Were the Gladiator's pre '66?

I just got me a barn find. 73 J-2000 4x4. And boy do I need help on this critter.

Usually the knarlier the better. Bfg's, goodyear, Dunlop, I think they all make good tire's. Cooper used to make one heck of a mud tire but I think they've changed it up a bit.

i have a jeep pickup willys this one is maybe 1951 model .

Attachments

• DSC_1272.jpg
    DSC_1272.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC_1541.jpg
    DSC_1541.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 1,943

Here's the grille, and a side shot of my 67 Kaiser (Not AMC) Gladiator.

She's a J3000 custom cab with a d53 rear and a d44 front, geared 5.09. The engine is a Kaiser 327, and the trans is a TH400. She has no AMC badging anywhere, even the owners manual (yes I have the original) is all Kaiser and no mention of AMC. I think it was because it was built for farm work rather than street use. (odd gearing, three gas tanks, heavier rear springs...)

I am in the process of doing a full restoration, she's earned it! The grille and "pie plates" were the first to be redone. She needs a carb right now, and some various body work, but other than that she's solid and runs true.

Not bad for $400 cash

Attachments

• newpaint.jpg
    newpaint.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,401
  • kaiserpic.jpg
    kaiserpic.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,067
Back