Jeep brakes go out.

ScubaDude

My friend has a jeep Cherokee 1995 laredo. The engine kills occasionally and when it does the brakes kill. The emergency isn't very functional either. Any one else have this issue? Ideas on how to fix it? If you need more details I'll speak with him but for now this is what I know

Fix the stalling issue first before troubleshooting the brake issue. The brake booster should be able to sustain 2-3 brake applications before the vacuum assist is depleted. If it doesn't hold even at the first time after the engine stalls, it would indicate a vacuum leak either in the booster diaphram or the one way check valve.

To add to this, I had a Buick that had the same issue, the problem turned out to be a vaccum leak that was causing the car to stall when it came up to full operating temp. Since the two items were interrelated it was a perfect example of why you always need to ensure the engine is running properly before troubleshooting other systems, since things like brakes, charging, cooling, auto transmissions and with todays computer controlled vehicles even more systems are all dependent on a properly running drive line.

Back