hmm what to do???

muddcakedmaniac

Well i have rebuilt an 87 yj and the transmission is the last thing on my list. Since im only 16 i dont have the greatest amount of money so i cant afford the best stuff. I was wondering what is a good replacment in my budget that is fairly easy and not overly complicated. Is there anything i can swap it with ?? i have a peugeot right now and i kno there not the best to start with. Oh and my budget it around 1000$

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Throw in an AX15, just make sure the transmission output matches your transfer case input. Worse case scenario, you'll have to swap out the transfer case input to a 23 spline.

You also need to know that you have a np 207 T/C and it has a 21 spline output shaft. They DO NOT work with an AX 15. So you need to grab the T/C with the transmission when you find a new one. Make sure you get the 231 and not the 241 T/C in alot of newer xj's.

Alright thanks for the help. So let me see here, i just need to get an AX15 with a 231 T/C and that is it?? Do you kno about how much this is going to cost me ? Brand new or used ? where should i go from here ? And what exactly is a 231 T/C ?

Thanks again

231 T/C is the model NP231 transfer case for your 4 wheel drive. You have a model NP207 right now. It won't work on an AX15 transmission without a different input shaft. It's usually cheaper to change the transfer case to the 231.

Bounty__Hunter said:
I'm not sure all '87s have the 207, I think late-year '87's begain using the 231 so he may be lucky there.

I wish I had been that lucky. If it's an oddball part, I've got it.

I have a NP231 with 21 spline input from a '88 YJ on ebay right now. I've seen a lot of these t-cases go for less than $200 on ebay, so you might look there.

hey blue jeep, im not to familiar with this and i dont know what there worth. Could you tell me what im looking at. And not rip me off. Thanks

Back