Hi Everyone

Cassandra52

I'm new at the forum thing and at the jeep thing. Over the course of my life my family has had two wranglers from the 70's two cherokees and a chief, and now a liberty. I, myself, have never owned one but have decided that I am taking the plunge. So, being that I have two mastiffs I'm thinking a cherokee is probably my best option. Anyone have any input as to the most reliable year? etc? Because in the beginning it will be my daily driver and my off-road vehicle. Thanks for any help :)

Welcome to Jeepz.com Cassandra.

How much money are you looking to spend? That will probably be a good starting point. Also, were you looking at the Grand Cherokee or the original Cherokee? I like the original Cherokees, but the last one was made in 2001, so you'll get a good deal on them, but they are more than a decade old.

welcome to the forum.. I agree with the cherokee idea and would suggest the xj series over the grand cherokee for sure

Welcome to Jeepz.com Cassandra.

How much money are you looking to spend? That will probably be a good starting point. Also, were you looking at the Grand Cherokee or the original Cherokee? I like the original Cherokees, but the last one was made in 2001, so you'll get a good deal on them, but they are more than a decade old.

If I could get one only a decade old I'd be lucky. I'm probably looking more in the 80's and 90's models. It does not have to be fancy. Just reliable. And between the old man and myself we can fix a mechanical problem or two, so I'm more inclined toward analog parts vs. power. Door locks, windows etc. And something whose motor is on the easier side to work on. I'm planning on modifying it gradually over time

The xj is lighter and more of a trail ride than the grand Cherokee and they make a ton of after market parts for them. I had a 97 zj and it was fun and could have made it into a trail rig but decided to trade it for a 87 yj. What it comes down to is if you want all the bells and whistles get a grand, but if you want to really get a fix up and trail ride Cherokee get a xj

I had an '88 Cherokee, best vehicle I ever owned. It asked for very little in the 7yrs I owned it. You've got the right idea in choosing manual windows, locks and such. It'll be less problem as it ages. You can't go wrong with the 4.0, excelent engine. They made lots of them, so parts are reasonable. Welcome to the forum.

Back