Help! Sr4 to gm th400

bhenson

Ok, I have a problem. I have a CJ7 with a Chevy 305 in it. (I know some of you are saying that's the problem, but it's not, and I bought it that way). The problem is the SR4 that is behind it. I traded some junk for a GM th400 and was measuring them and discovered the 400 is 1 3/4" longer than the sr4. The jeep has a 4" suspension lift on it and a d300 tcase. I am told the 400 has been converted to bolt to the d300. My biggest concern is will I have to replace the driveshafts due to the difference in length or is there enough play in there with the lift that everything will fit. I was told it was a direct swap but I thought that meant they were the same size. I know I'll have to buy a shifter and transmission cooler which I can find relatively cheap I just don't want to get into the expense of new or modifying driveshafts. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

<br>
Ok, I have a problem. I have a CJ7 with a Chevy 305 in it. (I know some of you are saying that's the problem, but it's not, and I bought it that way). The problem is the SR4 that is behind it. I traded some junk for a GM th400 and was measuring them and discovered the 400 is 1 3/4" longer than the sr4. The jeep has a 4" suspension lift on it and a d300 tcase. I am told the 400 has been converted to bolt to the d300. My biggest concern is will I have to replace the driveshafts due to the difference in length or is there enough play in there with the lift that everything will fit. I was told it was a direct swap but I thought that meant they were the same size. I know I'll have to buy a shifter and transmission cooler which I can find relatively cheap I just don't want to get into the expense of new or modifying driveshafts. Thanks for any help.

Well how much plat do you have right now

You may be fine with the shafts but you wont know until you do the swap. Your problem is going to be bottoming out the driveshaft as the suspension compresses off road, whcih could ruin your D300. If you find you need a new one, try calling your local 4x4 shop and asking if they have used drive shafts for cj7,s laying around (the one in our area has several). Most are of dif lentghs and you can pick a used one up pretty cheap.

Thanks, I thought I'd probably have to do something and I definately don't want to damage my t-case. I can't wait to get rid of the sr4.

Too bad you didn't get a 904 for the GM 4 cyl with a D300. If you were lied to about that TH400, the adapters are expensive and require taking the trans apart to put it in. You will need a flexplate for the motor too because the std flywheel won't work.

Back