Finally fixed wobble

southtj

I've only done one test drive but, man, I think I finally fixed my wobble. This has been going on for about 3 1/2 years as described here.

Short version:
After installing my 2" lift i started getting a wobble at about 50mph and hitting a bump. A new steering stabilizer helped but still happened around 50 and was worse when on the brakes but still only around 50 mph. Sometimes after a tire rotation it was worse. Also if I didn't have both front tires at the exact same pressure (29psi) it would get worse.

I had a Jeep "expert" take a look at everything on the front end and he couldn't find the problem.

It got worse when my MT/Rs starting wearing out and new tires made it better for awhile. Unless the pressure got off etc.

I thought maybe the factory wheels were the problem so replaced them also. Was going to anyway but it was a good excuse.

I tried new adjustable cam bolts a couple of weeks ago but adjusting them all they way forward made it worse so I went all the way backward. Still worse so I put it back in the center. Still having a slight wobble around 50 that got worse when braking.

Replaced the rotors today and ... BAM ... fixed. I hope. Knocking wood, crossing fingers etc.

Moral is, keep tire pressure right and check those rotors.

My rotors are not perfect, but I feel their wobble every time I hit the brake pedal. Were those original rotors? Could they have aged/worn so uneven to give you such problems? I hope that fixes it for you.

They were original with about 75000 miles on them. They still looked in great shape. I never felt any vibration in the pedal but only the wobble and only at about 50 mph. Slow down or speed up and it went away.

so its gone for good? that great if it is

So far so good. Not a trace of wobble.

However, the brakes now pull to the left. :(

After fixing the brakes by replacing the calipers the wobble came back. I adjusted the cam bolts multiple times but no help.

I finally told the Jeep that if this one last shop didn't fix the problem I was going to sell her. I took it to Lowcountry 4x4 on Friday and they rotated and balanced all 4 tires, replaced the steering stabilizer with an ugly beefy yellow one, replaced the trackbar and gave it an alignment.

After driving it all weekend I think it's safe to say (again) that the wobble is gone. In the past when it wasn't wobbling I could feel a little weirdness in the steering wheel at 45-50 like it wanted to wobble but was just waiting for the right bump to set it off. Now it feels solid with no shimmy, shake or wobble.

Man, I hope I'm done with this problem.

I've had the same experience with my Jeep (05 with 90K), and chased all over until I finally found the problems. Here are some things to check:

I paid for a new set of tires, ball joints, 3 alignments, new lower control arms, new adjustable trackbar, new tie rod & ends, and new rotors before my wobble totally went away. It's frustrating, but since I did most of the stuff myself I was able to learn somethings.

You have to pretend it's some sort of mystery game in order to keep from getting depressed.

Or, just go the other way and get a 4 inch long arm installed by a shop. That should replace about everything that needs replacing.

i hve 97 wrangler the death wobble was so bad i quit driving it, finally went to a shop, they are replacing worn out fron u joins and front brakes, along with leaking stabalizer, hoping that along with new rubber this will cure it, it is completly stock with 113000 on it, they are a respected shop, and he says he sees no other problems, i will post an update

i hve 97 wrangler the death wobble was so bad i quit driving it, finally went to a shop, they are replacing worn out fron u joins and front brakes, along with leaking stabalizer, hoping that along with new rubber this will cure it, it is completly stock with 113000 on it, they are a respected shop, and he says he sees no other problems, i will post an update

There's more to it, a few of those things will cause a wobble but there's likely a loose or worn steering or suspension component allowing the vibe to escalate into DW

Back