Exhaust fumes inside the cockpit

bluejeep

I always had a problem with the exhaust smell but in the summer it did not bother me because I would open the windows or have the top of. But now the jeep is closed in and the fumes are making me light headed. It can even smell them when im cursing at 40mph or so. I have 2 small holes that are in the firewall but that cant be it, they are too small. The drain holes on the floor are covered with mats. I know my exhaust is not the best but I don’t want to put any more $$ into it as of right now. I still need to buy some winter tires and a hardtop and full steel doors before the exhaust. Anyone had the same problem?

doesn't sound too good to me!

In the past, I've let the jeep idle, then taken a rag, and plugged the exhaust pipe with it. In a good exhaust system you should be able to choke the engine out this way, but in one with holes, the air will shoot out of these holes, and you can normally hear where it's coming out. This is normally a two man job. I dont' think this hurts the engine, but I could be wrong.

TerryMason said:
doesn't sound too good to me!

In the past, I've let the jeep idle, then taken a rag, and plugged the exhaust pipe with it. In a good exhaust system you should be able to choke the engine out this way, but in one with holes, the air will shoot out of these holes, and you can normally hear where it's coming out. This is normally a two man job. I dont' think this hurts the engine, but I could be wrong.

i would try that but dont want to hurt the engine, i got 200k miles on it

If you have run your exhaust straight out the back instead of out of the side of the Jeep it causes it to back draft back into the Jeep, its the most common reason for exhaust fumes in the cab

I had the same problem, so I replaced my rusy original exhaust from the head pipe back, helped tons! Is yours all falling apart and stuff?

BITE THE BULLET!

Joop

Mine is of to the side.
Its not even rusty, i cant even find a leak. Its just smells bad from the muffler, can a cat go bad or a muffler?

I've never seen a Jeep YJ or TJ with the exhaust out the side. They didn't ever come from the factory that way did they?

In reference to the exhaust position, the exhaust should not be in the center rear of the portion of the Jeep. it should be to the passenger side, but it is pointed towards the rear. If you have the exhaust in the CENTER of the jeep pointing out backwards then you will have a problem because of the back draft. If you have a soft top, you have the risks of fumes leaking in from the back. Does your soft top have any leaks or tears, is your tailgate shut completely or have a bad seal? Onetime, I just had my back window opened up without the front or rear windows down/out and I was driving down the highway and smelled exhaust fumes and was seeing pink elephants within minutes. There is even a warning in the operators manuel of my Jeep stating that all windows should be down or with the top off while operating with the back window removed. That might not be the problem, but hey thats just my two cents.

Last edited:

NiteDog said:
If the cat goes bad it usually smells like rotten eggs...:shock:

mike
The rotten egg smell isn't what happens when the cat goes bad its more of a combination of unburned additives from the fuel smoldering on the honeycomb inside the cat, try a change in fuel suppliers before replacing the catalytic converter.

bluejeep said:
I always had a problem with the exhaust smell but in the summer it did not bother me because I would open the windows or have the top of. But now the jeep is closed in and the fumes are making me light headed. It can even smell them when im cursing at 40mph or so. I have 2 small holes that are in the firewall but that cant be it, they are too small. The drain holes on the floor are covered with mats. I know my exhaust is not the best but I don’t want to put any more $$ into it as of right now. I still need to buy some winter tires and a hardtop and full steel doors before the exhaust. Anyone had the same problem?
staying concience while driving is more important than staying warm.

i no what you mean by exhaust smell in the cockpit i have a 88' jeep cherokee sport and the exhaust will drive you out my sollution to that problem was i cut the exhaust off at the catti and put flex hose out in front of the rear tire and that killed the smell

get you zipper fixed then go from there.you could have a small exuast manifold leak.if you have the 4.0,the header pipes are real bad about cracking at the Y part of the header.mine did that.

Back